1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer operating systems (or, "Let's start a fight!")

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 29, 2008.

?

What kind of operating system does your computer *at home* use?

1. Windows 98, 95 or ME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows XP

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. Windows 2000

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Windows Vista

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. Linux, BSD or some other Unix

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Mac OS X

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. Mac OS 9 or earlier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Windows 3.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. DOS is the be-all and end-all, beeyotch!

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Mine has a little hamster inside it running on a wheel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Something out of left field like OS/2, BeOS or Plan 9 From Bell Labs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Why not?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Couldn't you and flash at least pull each other's hair and roll around on the floor a little bit? :D

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Xp on the laptop and I like it; vista on the desktop at home and I haven't decided yet.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But then it wouldn't be real, A_QB, and wouldn't it cheapen the entire experience?

And Stormy, I can only speak of my personal experience. Which is I bought a Mac, spent like $1200 on it, got four drops of water on the OUTSIDE OF THE CASE and it hasn't turned on since. About 16 months. So I paid $1200 for a month's worth of use, and now have a really expensive paperweight.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I've always been an Apple gal. I have an iBook right now. I'm used to being the only Mac user on Press Row.

My newspaper uses PCs, so I suppose I'm cross-platform compatible.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm going with the iMac, not a Powerbook, so hopefully spilled beverages won't be an issue.

That sucks though. Yikes.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You should know how hot it is when you talk like that.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Mac OS9 programs (running inside OSX) are the bane of my existence at work and I'd take my home computer running XP any day over that system.

But OSX on its own is on par with XP, assuming you have pretty good knowledge of how to configure them to your liking.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

At home, I have Windows 2000, Suse and Windows XP. On the laptop I'm on right now, I have Vista and two boots of XP.

I liked Windows 2000 the most out of all of them. It was stable, required a minimal amount of memory from which to run from and allowed the combination of NT's security with that of 98's options (DVD and USB capability).

XP wasn't much of a step up from that. I thought their "sleaker" design looked cheesy and almost childlike. I never felt like an adult using the computer.

Vista has the feel of an adult operating system yet it sucks donkey balls. Behind the scenes is an operating system that believes I'm a child.

Microsoft seriously fucked up here. They know it too. Maybe one day they will act on it.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Got XP, though I'm so computer-illiterate I can't answer that question with reflexively looking at the little sticker in the corner of my laptop.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't disagree with anything Pastor wrote. Used to use XP, and it was fine, but nothing to write home about. My new laptop's got Vista, and it's a POS (the system, not my computer -- which is pretty good otherwise.)

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Two desktops and a laptop at home have XP. My daughter's laptop has Vista. That was a stinky pain in the ass to set up.

Draft saved Draft deleted