1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer nerds ARE loners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the_rookie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

The study found:

• Heavy users spent an average of 33 minutes less time each day than non-users on domestic work, such as child care and housekeeping.
    • Spouses and children in particular bore the brunt. Heavy users spent about half an hour less with spouses and with children than did non-users."
    • Heavy users were less likely than non-users to say they knew most or many of the people in their neighbourhood.
    • Heavy users spent less time in active sports, engaging in civic and volunteer activities, or attending sports events, movies and other events. But they did express greater enjoyment in participating in clubs and social organizations.

And they remained interested in traditional media.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see Stats Canada is using our tax dollars wisely.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

Even before this, I've felt like America needs to cool off its love affair with its computer screens (particularly when you're not working on something specific like job-related research, purchasing music or gifts, etc.). High-speed connections are so addictive, and now almost everybody has them in their home. I feel myself being drawn to the computer screen almost every time there's a down moment in the day - between innings of a baseball game, waiting for the microwave to cook my food, etc., etc. I've been trying to cut back at home and have been pretty successful - and it seems to help me relax throughout my life, believe it or not.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I guess this explains all the crayon drawings on the wall in my kids' room.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted