1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer help please...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Feb 26, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've already talked to 2much, so I'm not optimistic.

About two hours ago, the left mouse button below the touchpad on my laptop stopped working. Well, first it just got finicky for about 10 minutes and I had to hit it closer to the middle. Then it stopped working. I plugged a mouse in, and it works only sporadically. I restarted it several times, and left it off once for about an hour. I turned it back on, and same problem.

I'm essentially moving around using the tab button now, as the mouse only works to click on the address bar and the start menu, but nowhere within the frame most of the time. I've gotten the mouse to work occasionally by clicking on the start menu, then up into the frame, but that's it.

When I go to work tomorrow, it docks, so I'm hoping the mouse at work will work better once it's docked and I'm using a mouse not directly plugged into the computer. I don't think we have IT help on site on weekends, so I might be stuck waiting until Monday.

Any ideas? Or am I in limbo?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some laptops read a hard double tap on the touchpad as a left click.

That's all I've got.

3. imjustagirl

This one doesn't. I've tried that, as well as trying the red button in the middle (SHUT UP EVERYONE).

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do not press the red button.
    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=9644

:D

(I was sort of thinking the trackpad button itself had gone bad. Hmm, I have an idea. Let me go try something.)

The something in question: Can you open Windows' Mouse Properties control panel? If so, in the Buttons tab hit this:

[​IMG]

Now, can you use the right trackpad button as the primary button?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. imjustagirl

Long story (and one short phone call to 2much later) that didn't work. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted