1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer dilemma

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oz, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For the second time in two years, my computer seems on the verge of death. My 2001 Dell needed a new hard drive two years ago, and since then, it's been all good. That is, until recently.

When I moved with the fiancee to a new apartment, we upgraded to cable Internet. Works great, but sometimes, the computer would go into this rut and we would restart it. This went on for two months before this past weekend, when it crashed and now won't start.

The dilemma is this -- I could get the Geek Squad or some other place to fix the problem. That could run $100 if it's something simple, but up to $300 for a new hard drive if that's necessary. Or I could just buy a new laptop for $400 from Circuit City or Best Buy, given that would be money spent on fixing the bulky, five-year-old home setup that I have now.

Honestly, I have no clue what to do. As much as I do want a laptop, I'm not sure that would be the right call here. Any thoughts?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

treat it is a new car. While it's paid off, it is old. You can get a newer and faster one. Sure, you're spending money, but how long can you throw money at the old one?

Ask yourself where you need it more... laptop or desktop -- or both?

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

There are some good deals available now, since most people are putting off buying a new computer until Windows Vista comes out early next year.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Univac?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To be honest, I have no clue what a Univac is. I pretty much use my computer for three things -- Internet, iTunes and documents. I don't need the computer to do much more than the basic, and I do like the idea of a laptop.

For tonight, at least, I'm leaning that way. Thanks for the advice.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, Univac is from the 1970s. Decaf is pulling your chain.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So's dooley. He's only off by about a quarter-century or so.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

UNIVAC = [​IMG]

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Note to self -- don't buy Univac. Laptop, probably better buy.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I don't think I can get that up the 49 rows to the pressbox at my home stadium (elevator due next year).

Draft saved Draft deleted