1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compulsory IRA Withdrawls By Age 70 1/2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Know a relative of a friend who has blithely ignored this rule without being detected, for more than a decade . . . penalties are severe (50% excise tax! Jeez . . . ). Anyone with experience in this area?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Paging spnited.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A little more explanation of where you are coming from here?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You don't start pulling IRA withdrawls by age 70 1/2, there's a severe excise tax in your future, if you're caught.

I have a friend who has an elder who didn't start withdrawing until SEVERAL years after the 70 1/2 threshold.

Curious as to any literal consequences . . .

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So, take it out by 70 1/2 and put it into a money market, you're saying?

6. Hillman

Hillman New Member

Best off the record advice is lay low and stay quiet about not taking timely distributions.

Also recommend taking out slightly more than the minimum distribution for 2008 and continue the practice from this point foward.

If caught, plead ignorance and be prepared to face consequences.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You get caught screwing the federal government out of money, someone's going to pay -- either the owner of the account or their estate. Uncle Sam doesn't take kindly to this.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My dad has something like 1/16th withdrawn every year and put into a money market.

The good news is, 11 years after turning 70 1/2, his original amount is almost 100 percent what it was . . . plus the 11/16ths added to the MM account.

9. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

My grandfather didn't take his out for a couple of years after he turned 70 1/2. He was detected, told he'd have a huge tax hit on it unless he gave it away as a gift. All the grandchildren got large mutual funds.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's great, in terms of money management. He is to be commended, for he shall never, ever have to eat dog food like some old folks on fixed incomes.

But at age 81 or whatever, doesn't he want to start spending -- or gifting or donating while he's still around to enjoy the role and the results? Just leaving behind a pot of money after one has departed isn't much fun.

It's almost like most of us are hard-wired one way or the other: Spenders who don't know how to save or savers who don't know how to spend.

This is only my opinion, of course, but it's the same one I'd have if my dad still were around: Here's hoping the old guy breaks some dough out of the accounts and takes an extra cruise this year. Or buys BTExpress a convertible with it while he can mooch a bunch of rides and brag to his friends.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some most-helpful stuff, thus far. Additional input welcomed.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He amazes me. Never made more than $35,000 a year in a one-income household, put three kids through college, pays for Nursing Home insurance (in case of that financially draining emergency), yet still has more than $100,000 squirrelled way.

Of course, it helps that he has zero material wants. Unlike anyone I have ever known.

Draft saved Draft deleted