1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compliments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoJo, Jul 17, 2010.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Try to give them the benefit of the doubt -- they saw you put out a quality product and gave you credit for it. They'll still complain the next time they don't like something. Nature of the beast when you cover preps.

On another note, where the hell did you guys find enough advertising for a 48-page special on one softball team? Even at magazine size, that's amazing. At my place, they're not sure they can sell enough ads for us to do what would be a tiny football preview section.

2. JoJo

JoJo Member

Our publisher (a former sports guy) thought of the idea and put feelers out to see what kind of reaction we could get from businesses. Businesses, the school and family members came out of the woodwork to buy ads in it. I don't even think it was too hard of a sell for our ad team. We just rarely have a state champion in any of the major team sports from our 10-team coverage area so it was kind of a big deal. In fact, it was our first state champion since a 2001 volleyball team.

Magazine turned out really well, so the girls and their families have a keepsake and we turned a profit. Win-win.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A 48-page section on a softball team that won a state championship? Holy crap.

4. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Looking for apartments after I landed my first job, I mentioned that I'd be working for the paper, the Morning Press. "Oh, the Morning Mess?" the 80-year-old landlord laughed.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Take it for what it is.

It wasn't until I left the local paper as a full-timer that I became barraged by compliments by people I'd see in the community. Maybe it was their backhanded way of complaiining about the new guys, but I took most of them as genuine.

Draft saved Draft deleted