1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compliments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoJo, Jul 17, 2010.

1. JoJo

JoJo Member

I've recently received compliments on a 48-page special commemorative magazine we did for a softball team in town who won a state championship. Aside from that, it feels like compliments we get in our sports department are from the same people who like to complain more often than not.

Most of the time it's more of a case of those people patting us on the back before they put knife in hand and stab us.

So in this business (or at your paper specifically), is there such a thing as receiving honest-to-goodness compliments from readers?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Being in a small community helps with this. My wife, also a reporter, and I, get noticed quite a bit from people, and most of them are complimentary. Every reporter here has a weekly column with their photo on it, and we're also pretty active in local events. We were at a big BBQ rib cookoff on Fourth of July weekend, and one older lady was behind us in line and said "Aren't you the Stains? You guys are real assets to the community." Another person heard this exchange and asked my wife "So you work at the newspaper? You sure do spell a lot of things wrong."

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of my first days in the business at my first small-town weekly, I had to cover some Office of the Aging luncheon of some sort. I was seated next to some elderly people, and we started chatting. One old lady said, "You're from the Podunk Weekly? Oh my, we have a celebrity here."

At my first small-town daily, yeah, I had the complaints. But I had a lot of compliments as well, including a couple of letters that people wrote me, saying that they appreciated the work I did. I still have them somewhere.

So the compliments are out there. Only thing is, we always remember the complaints more.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

So we're just like the readers?!?

5. Baron Scicluna

Nah, we're smarter than they are.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Weren't we all readers once?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Aren't we all readers still?

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Really? I doubt it.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My favorites are the compliments that come just before the serious complaining.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Softening you up.

11. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

You guys get compliments?

Ha, I jest. Most of the time when I'm out covering something, I'll have people tell me I'm doing a good job or whatever. Then I go back to the office and have a voicemail and two e-mails berating me over something else. So I take whatever compliments I can get because they are few and far between.

12. Baron Scicluna

Did I need to use the blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted