1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complicated tax code question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 15, 2009.

  1. JayFarrar

    JayFarrar Well-Known Member

    I'm looking for the tax return information on a 501 c 6 corporation.
    Basically, 501 Cs are all non-profit.
    The corporation was formed in 2007, and a guidestar search yielded zip. Guidestar doesn't always have the newer stuff, so that isn't unexpected.
    A call to the IRS said that the company is not registered as a non-profit, but that the process to certify non-profits can take a couple of years, and with it formed in 2007, the paperwork might still be in a holding pattern.
    So where do I go next?
    Since they don't receive public funds, I don't think that I can FOI the information I want. Even though they make people believe they are a quasi-governmental agency.

    If I simply ask for it, I think they can tell me F off.

    So, what do I do next?
    Any thoughts ...
  2. sportsed

    sportsed Member

    Might check with the state. If the company is listed as a nonprofit, the state should also have records that would corroborate that, otherwise it would be subject to state tax. A public records search on Nexis would get you the charter number, which you would likely need for your search. I believe that all nonprofits must make public at least a minimal amount of its company info, including the amount it collected and/or dispersed, accumulated assets, as well as the names and contact info for its top officers.
  3. State Sec. of State's office and/or state tax department.
  4. 93Devil

    93Devil Well-Known Member

    Do they have a tax ID number and do not pay taxes on purchased items?

    That would be issued by the state and could be a starting point.
  5. fishwrapper

    fishwrapper Active Member

    State Tax Board is your answer. If the company is filing as a non-profit, the Tax Board knows their non-profit status.

    Have you ever used "Melissa Data?"
    It's also a good place to start.


    You can search by Tax ID# or by Zipcode.
  6. JayFarrar

    JayFarrar Well-Known Member

    Holy cats, Melissa Data is a Godsend.
    Fishwrapper wins the prize for most helpful post of the day.
    Just for the curious, I checked with the state's secretary of state and in the online filings, they only showed profit or non-profit status for the corporation.
    The ever helpful state legislature here passed some restrictions that made it harder to get information.
    Where the kerfuffle comes is that the corporation filing shows non-profit, but guidestar, and melissa data don't show the organization. The IRS doesn't recognize them either, at least not yet.
    So, that still leaves the question of how I get a look at the organization's tax records.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page