1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complaint calls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 12, 2008.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Our response is always the same: We report what the coaches give us.

We don't go out of our way to find JV scores or cover their events, but we do put the info at the very end of the varsity stories (one or two sentences is all, with the score and one or two top performers).
    Of course, we're a much smaller paper than big metro dailies so we have a little wiggle room for that kind of thing, but we still get some of those same phone calls about why one team gets more JV coverage than another.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I recently wrote a column sort of calling out a captain of a college team I cover after he played sho shitty for about three games. The coach was pissy. So was the captain. I said something to the effect of "You aren't too disappointed when I write about how well he plays."

All is well now.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Most complaints are narrowly focused, usually why some parent's kid didn't get enough publicity. I always reply. If the person is civil, I let them speak their mind. If they get rude, I hang up.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The problem with that is the coach will dutifully name every player who suited up, and parents will expect to see that in the paper.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We had an email the other day from a mother who insinuated that leaving her daughter off the all-state honorable mention would cost her daughter a college scholarship.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I got that recently from a coach regarding an all-area team. Fucking classic.

I hope that dude doesn't go to UCLA because of me. I really do.

7. Sometimes is just gets to the point where I ask if all they needed to do was complain or is there an actual solution to be made. Sometimes it's not about getting coverage/corrections. Gramps just wants to bitch.

8. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I love those parents. The best way to handle the "college recruiters read your standings page and my son/daughter is trying to decide on where to do" is to just be honest and tell them, "Ma'am, college coaches know who they're going to be looking at for next year already. If someone needs the standing page of the Podunk Press to fill his roster next season, I don't think you want your child to go there."

These people are convinced that Joe Paterno reads the paper and says things like, "Hey, guys, there's a running back out of Smalltown High that just rushed for 210 yards on 18 carries. Yeah, they beat Crosstown Rival Tech by a touchdown. Pity the paper decided not to put in any stats for Tech, or we'd look at their kids, too. Fuel up the jet."

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

One of my staffers got that recently from a parent whose son we didn't include on the all-county football team. She claimed he was a "national recruit." Well, if he was, he wouldn't need our recognition. I googled his name and he didn't show up in any recruiting stories.

Some people just feel empowered to complain because they subscribe to the paper and that's fine as long as they don't act like jerks. Once they do, I end the conversation.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's one thing to get that kind of call from parents, but if it's a coach who makes that complaint, he is beyond clueless and should know better.

11. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Here's a question: are schools and players entitled to any coverage?

Because they act like they deserve it. Like it's their right for you to mention it.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Entitled to it? No.

Draft saved Draft deleted