1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complaint calls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

of course you won't change their mind. they are calling becuase they like to bitch. you just tell them how it is, and if they don't like it, nothing you can do about it. they'll still buy the paper to see how much you continue to disrespect their school/team/kid anyway. fuck em.

2. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Phenomenal!

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Awesome. I enjoyed reading through those.

I noticed people brought up JV coverage a lot. One thing I did during football season was interview the JV and Freshman coach and then write a feature over the JV team. I never ever heard a complaint about JV or a demand for more JV coverage.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Precisely. The problem? Parents and relatives don't deal with rational thought well most of the time.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It comes down to this:

* If it's a logic issue, talk to them, and listen to their beef, then explain the problem from your perspective, and thank them for reading and take the time to call.

* If it's an emotion issue, just listen, then thank them and go on your way. You can't do shit about what they're feeling.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's a lotta "feelers" out there.

be careful.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wait until next year when you don't do the JV story.

That slope you're on? It's slippery.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was once told to incorporate the JV scores into my gamers. I told the publisher to shove the JV scores up his smelly goat ass (figuratively, of course). I put them at the bottom of the agate, where they belong, instead. Unless something extraordinary was going on, I'd never pen a JV story.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I get the "This JV/freshman/middle school team is having a great year. Their last game is today. Why don't you cover it?" call about once a season.
    The problem is that it's all I can do just to cover all the different varsity teams (between four high schools, 47 different varsity teams playing in the winter alone) and I have to draw the line somewhere.
    First, it's a subvarsity team that's undefeated. Then it's a subvarsity team that posted a winning record for the first time in a while. Then it's one that won its first game in a year or two. Once the camel gets its nose in the tent...

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, I think every call or e-mail deserves some kind of response.

Maybe it's a rote response, of course, something you write once and then paste a lot: "Thank you for your interest, yada yada."

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"I'm sorry. Our budget has been cut recently, and we're not able to staff events of that nature. Sorry."

That might work. Or be honest (depending on how many schools are in your area): "If we do that for this school, we'll have to do it for every other one, too, and we simply don't have the time or personnel to do that."

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Encourage them to e-mail rather than phone. If they get you on the phone, they'll keep you there, saying the same things over and over and never hearing what you say. Next thing you know, it's 30 minutes shot in the ass, plus it's more likely they'll piss you off and goad you into saying something regrettable.

If the e-mail is civil and reasonable, respond in kind. If it's irrational, send them a generic response that says nothing: "Thank you for writing. I'm always interested in getting feedback from readers."

Draft saved Draft deleted