1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complaining parents - When did this trend start?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 24, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Some say this phenomena started in Canada back in the early to mid 60's (I think that's about right) when the Canadian Hockey Association did an ad campaign with the slogan, "Take, Don't Send Your Boy to the Rink".

As I said, up until then, kids played hockey, parents would drive, may or may not stay for the games, pick their kids up, ask how they did, and that was about it.

The CHA started a guilt campaign.

Back then of course girls didn't play hockey but I don't think I knew a single kid who didn't play--at least until they were 13 or so.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When I was a kid, my mom took me to the games and stayed just because she was uberprotective. I remember my dad going to a game of mine exactly once -- and it was a minor miracle.

This is all about scholarships. Never happens in the poorer neighborhoods or communities. You'd figure those are the parents who could use some pub and a scholarship to get their kids into college, but no.

In the past 10 years, even, you've seen it get so much worse. When I was 18, you almost never would've seen parents accompanying kids to their college classes or pick up the phone to the professor.

Makes me wonder if these kids are gonna be sick and tired of the doting, and maybe they'll rebel and not have kids at all.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When I was playing Little League, if someone from the local newspaper had shown up to cover the game, my teammates and I would have thought that they were out of their fucking mind. And at that time, we lived in a small city.

I find all the emphasis on the competitive aspect of youth sports- which are supposed to be about fun, health and character development- to be utterly revolting. We had one- just one- psycho parent on my Little League team. Now, I'm wondering if that personality type isn't the norm.

It's bad enough that teenagers almost never make the paper except when they break the law or play sports. Except for the occasional clutch-and-grab award photo, newspapers don't pay attention to the academic achievements of teenagers. Now little children are being taught that their 8-u baseball team is more important than what happens at school. That's the message we send when we play up the former and ignore the latter. Terrible message.

And the only parents who stayed to watch Little League practice on my team were the occasional grandparents.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Great discussion.

There's no question it's a sociological trend.

Case in point: I could count on one hand the number of times a minority parent has called to bitch about their child.

I covered high school sports in ultra-rich areas, and lower-middle class/poor areas. Rarely did I get calls from the lower-middle class/poor areas.

If you were to take a survey of the race and income level of every one who calls a sports department to bitch about their child, it would be 95 percent white and 95 percent upper middle class.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thank you, TSP.

Asshole, self-promoting, my-kid's-shit-don't-stink, compensating, living-vicariously-through-Junior parents have always been there, and complained.

Nowadays, though, dumbshit, pandering newspapers have increasingly invited readers to give feedback.

Well, this is one misconstrued form of that.

P.S. It is pretty much the white assholes complaining where I live.

6. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

That's good buck...we actually had a guy call us last football season. An underdog local team beat the previously undefeated local team. One of the D-backs on the winner said the all-conference QB on the losing team wasn't that good and he thought he was overrated. GREAT quote. We ran it, and QBs dad called the next day saying his kid was looking for a scholly and we could have cost him his ride with that quote...

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which is bullshit. Why is a college coach relying on you for info on doling out scholarships? WTF?

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Sarcasm wicked...

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, I have heard of coaches pulling aside reporters and talking over games with them. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the next step in this whole thing, sadly.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

We've had this discussion many times in my shop and I'm of the belief that this trend started when ESPN and other TV stations started broadcasting high school and little league events like they were the Super Bowl.

When ESPN started televising high school football games and basketball games, people started to develop a sense of entitlement. When I played ball back in the late 80s, it was a super-rare treat to be on the local TV station (basically public access) and it wasn't live and wasn't professionally done. Now, these high school kids get their games televised live and the announcers spend the whole three hours hyping up every kid that has a chance at the next level.

We're to the point where jamborees (glorified scrimmages) are being televised locally. But it's not just television. I think print media is to blame for some of it also. I mean, we put out a special section for the local little league team when they made it to the LLWS a couple of years back. We basically made those 12-13 kids celebrities for a month. We even covered their return to school like it was a national event. And once you do that for one team, every team expects similar coverage.

I think we, in the media, have spoiled parents/kids. It's no longer a privilege to be in the newspaper or TV, everyone feels entitled.

Someone also brought up reality TV and I agree with that. Everybody thinks they can be the next star, or the next great athlete.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And cable companies, ever searching for more revenue (in addition to the annual rate increases), are throwing together cheap productions of these high school games, making a quick buck and moving onto the next town.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I see the ink has run out on the blue font. ::)

Disclaimer: I'm going to address the issue of race/class and will make sweeping generalizations. Bear with me.

I think the reason the white/rich parents call to complain is they are the ones who have a regular habit of buying and reading the paper. Fewer complaints from poor areas where there are fewer subscribers.

Minority sports parents bitch, but in different ways. I worked for a marketing company that put on free youth sports tournaments in inner cities. I will never forget one interaction with a mother. My company paid for EVERYTHING: tournament fees, officials, full team uniforms for each team, all equipment, transportation if needed, water/gatorade all day, lunch for all participants, everything.

We had donuts and coffee out for the event workers and officials one morning. A mother came up and started taking away boxes of donuts. We stopped her and she went nuts, screaming it wasn't fair because they paid all this money for their kids to play, the least we could do is give them some donuts. We reminded her that everything was FREE but she still said we owed them.

Another time we secured a donation from an off-brand sporting goods company. Free shoes and equipment. The inner-city kids refused to use any of it because it wasn't Nike or Adidas. We ended up sending it to tsunami relief, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted