1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compensation negotiation for preliminary editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by scheyer30, Jan 1, 2013.

1. scheyer30

scheyer30 New Member

Hi, wasn't sure if this should go in Journalism or not but here we are.

Anyways, I've getting involved in an athlete's book project. It's basically a memoir but I don't want to go too deep into that because that's not that relevant here. He's not a big name but the book isn't built on star power, rather the stories contained in it.

I haven't been involved in any freelance work quite like this before and I was just looking for tips in terms of negotiating with the author. I'm keen to the rule of not really looking at it, or offering much of anything without being compensated. But the plan is to start off with some preliminary guidance for him and be sort of the first eye that sees his work other than him...basically just an adviser for now. What's fair ballpark range for compensation here? And any other relevant advice would be great. Thanks.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

$25-$35 per hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted