1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Company owner gets fined for racist taunts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 17, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Paki," he called her, according to Khan's testimony before the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal. "Half-nigger babies," he said of her two little boys. "That's what you get for sleeping with a nigger."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/766704--racist-taunts-cost-boss-25-000?bn=1

Khan said she tried to laugh off his comments at first, saying she couldn't believe that anyone would say those words and mean it. Later, she told Tompkins that he was not allowed to speak that way, testifying he responded by saying it was "his f---ing company."

$25,000 fine. Too bad it wasn't more.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two and a half years and she was still putting up with it (and still would be, I assume, had she not been fired)?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My mom puts up with a lot of shit from her boss. Ridiculing, insulting,horrible things that if she would let me would get him a kick in the junk from me.

But she's making more than she'd make entry level somewhere else...so she puts up with it.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The guy who was fined bears a resemblance to Buzz Hargrove.

EDIT: Holy shit - I just looked at the complainant. I went to high school with her.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, that's what the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal is saying: no employee should have to put up with it.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

What a piece of shit this guy is.

And a coward to boot:

Reached at his office last week, Tompkins again said he did not use those terms, claiming that he was "set up." He requested a face-to-face interview but later called back and cancelled.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My mom had a boss who would ridicule her and was just as mean. She'd come home in tears, and sometimes would cry at work.

One time, I had a day off from school and she had to bring me in to work because there was no babysitter available. Being 11 years old, I was so ready to rip on the guy. My mom asked me not to, because the guy would make things hard on her again.

So when I meet the guy, he acts like the nicest guy in the world, asking me about school. I just gave him short, curt answers.

Guy eventually fired my mom. Couple of years later, guy's business went up in flames. My mom took us out to breakfast at a local diner to celebrate.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not sure how much it is used in the US but calling someone a "paki" is almost the equivalent of the N word up here. That being said I remember when I was in Australia in the mid-90s seeing a headline for the Pakistani cricket team that read "Pakis arrive Sunday"

Not sure if the word is an insult everywhere or not.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It was in "Bend It Like Beckham."

Draft saved Draft deleted