1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Company introduces 'period policy'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 5, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A British company will allow women to take paid time off, which won't be part of their sick leave, during their periods.

Company will allow women to take days off during their period

Purely anecdotally, one of my exes had really debilitating ones, during which she could barely move sometimes. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Megyn Kelly wishes FoxNews had this policy. [/Trump]

Steak Snabler and BDC99 like this.
  3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Smart move for the company. Easily offset by men working more hours to avoid their wives. :D

exmediahack and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

While a policy like this might not make sense for an accounting firm, it's an artistic company, and therefore it seems incredibly enlightened.

As women get into their professional lives, they begin to understand the rhythms of their bodies and use it to their benefit. It can actually be gift in the creative fields.

The first two thirds of my cycle are my productive and creative days. The final third is my body's 'wintertime.' I hibernate, lower expectations, take stock, and recharge.

The final 2 days before my period are very emotional, and I've learned to actually embrace the emotion. Last week I had a good hard cry when hearing the song Fast Car on the radio... and it felt cathartic and amazing.

This week I've been on fire at work-- both in terms of production and creativity.

I've dealt with this for so long that I've started to feel sorry for men, who pretty much feel the same everyday, and never experience this 'springtime' of their bodies and minds.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hope my boardmates will take this in the spirit it is offered and trust they will. If not, grow a sense of humor.

Why does it take seven women with PMS to change a single lightbulb?

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Lugnuts

Ha!
    Why Moddy ?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

BECAUSE IT JUST FUCKING DOES!

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep - points to Creosote!

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lugnuts, loved your post. Seriously. It was like a bit of a sneak peek behind what women go through - knowledge like that could have been handy in my ill-fated marriage 20 years ago.

Not trying to be my usual ass - I mean this as a serious question: are there some days when you are more likely to get really irritated with what you read here at sj?

Donny in his element and Lugnuts like this.
  10. Lugnuts

Yes, but Whitman irritates me irrespective of the hormones. :D

Seriously though... People often joke about Estrogen being the hormone that causes the upheaval. But I find it's the Progesterone that has the big impact.

Just past mid-cycle, a woman's body is flooded with Progesterone, which for me is very calming. And that's when I sleep the best-- it's amazing.

And I was interested to read that dangerous criminals are sometimes given Progesterone therapy to take the edge off.

Anyway after about 10 days of that-- Just before I start my period, the progesterone level starts to drop-- probably in a very zig-zaggy way-- and that's what seems to cause the emotion.

Then it's like 2 days of some crying and irritability, until my period starts. But knowing it's the hormone fluctuations, and being able to view yourself almost outside yourself, really helps. So I might say, "The hormones are pointing me to a really good cry, so I'm gonna enjoy this." or "Don't let the hormone shift make you yell at the kids. This will pass." It helps. Then when I start, it's physical pain-- cramps for 24 hours, but the emotions are returning to normal. If you've ever experienced pain of any kind-- a bad headache or banging your knee-- you know how good it feels when the pain begins to lift. It's almost a high. I've actually done some of my best writing just after the pain, interestingly.

By Day 7 of my cycle, I feel like I could run a marathon.

For me anyway. Every woman is different. HC ??? HC to the white courtesy phone.....

Now you all know waaaaaay more than you ever wanted to !

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Running period thread.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This company will soon be running in the red.

Draft saved Draft deleted