1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Company Christmas parties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

To piggyback off the Christmas Bonus thread....

Does your company have a Xmas party?

My first newspaper stop did not. My last had one in the 2+ years I was there. It was at the EE's house. Plenty of food and he bought a shit-ton of beer for everyone, so that was cool.

My current gig is a little different. My division is the third-tier inside a couple larger divisions, so we have essentially three different Xmas parties we can attend. Then, one for my company (Remember, I'm a contractor.). Then another one just for the contractors in the division. Whew! All of these have been during work hours at some bar/restaurant in the DC area. Kinda nice to work half a day in that instance.

Then, there's another one hosted by one of the managers at her house on the weekend. That one will get a little crazier, I'd imagine.

I've never seen so many damn Xmas parties. What does everyone else have going on?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My company discontinued the Christmas party last year.

3. JackReacher

Damn. That sucks. I figured yours would be kick-ass.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I heard it was.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We don't have one and I wouldn't want one.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Since my company is me, I'm throwing myself one HELL of a party.
    I'm going to get drunk and feel up the boss' wife.

7. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Even though we're a small shop, in '07 we had an unbelievable party at a nice restaurant. Prime rib, open bar, chocolate fountain. It really felt like we were at a wedding reception.

They canceled that last year and just did an in-house affair where everyone brought something. As cool as that first party was, I didn't mind seeing it go if we needed to save a few bucks.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Potluck dinner at my first two stops, fancy dinner at the yacht club for the last one (too fancy, in fact, for my blood). I'm told we had one here last Christmas, but I'll be damned if I can remember it.

There are rumors of one this year, though I imagine I'll pass.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We're having a little office get-together tonight at a local pub.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Ours was discontinued three years ago (Gannett's always ahead of the curve).

Before it was discontinued, though, I heard it was a pretty nice, little shindig. Of course, nobody in sports ever had any first-hand knowledge, since they always had it on Friday nights, usually the week of the semifinals or finals.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We have a lunch thing, which is mandatory (unless you want to use up vacation time to miss it). They even station the boss's secretary near the door to make sure we don't leave to early. Seriously.

12. JackReacher

Mandatory? Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted