1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Companies stopping 401k matches

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's about coming to an agreement, and sticking to it. Sure, situations change for both employee and employer. But the idea is that in exchange for a compensation package, the employee works for that company. Go back on your word, and there's no trust. No trust, morale goes down, and the company is worse off for it.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nope. Lots of folks, myself included, don't get anything.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Companies started offering health and retirement benefits, IIRC, as an enticement when there was competition among them for qualified employees. That competition is all but gone now; it's been replaced by competition for jobs.

How anyone left in the newspaper industry is prone to trusting their employer is a mystery to me. You trust at your own peril.

OTD, if you limit yourself to newspapers, then you may very well be stuck taking what you can get.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Product quality remains inextricably tied to qualified labor in most industries, including newspapers. A company dilutes quality at its own risk. Use of an increasing supply of under- or just adequately qualified workers rather than competing for the best qualified workers, likewise, carries inherent risk. I remain of the opinion that news industry, like many shareholder-driven industries, is learning this lesson the hard way. I call this phenomenon greed.

6. novelist_wannabe

Hey man, I don't really disagree. Still, despite the HR mantra of "it's cheaper to keep people than to recruit new ones," corporate actions indicate otherwise.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

aGREED.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was referring to most industries, not just newspapers. From the late 40s through the 70s and even the 80s, you had workers staying at one company for life. Loyalty worked both ways. The company took care of you in exchange for you working hard for the company.

For the last 20 years or so, there has been no loyalty. When a company doesn't feel loyal to its workers, and vice versa, everyone suffers.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Well certainly, the mindless corporate ducks will follow the lead one....

...and the debts of problems for the working class will mount for Mr. Obama.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Same with me. Until today. Now it's 50 cents on the dollar, up to 6%.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yeah, I applied for one of those brain surgeon jobs, but they said no because I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

12. novelist_wannabe

Stuck with the Tall Pines Motel because of a chintzy expense account, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted