1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Dec 20, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Previously, I was driving 33 miles each way to get to my last rag. Now that I'm out of the business, my new job is much closer, but because of interstate construction it takes nearly as long as did my other job.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

30 miles, almost all traffic congested freeways. Can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and ten. And there's a few rare days when the combination of rain and accidents makes it "well, fuck, you'll get there when you get there."

The key to shortening the time is to use the right lanes. Every bonehead yahoo around here feels compelled to get to the innermost, non HOV lanes, leaving the far right lanes the least congested. Go figure.

Have pretty much always had an hour, one way commute for most of my working life, so I'm kind of immune to it by now. And until the kids get through high school, moving closer is not an option.

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Yeah, had a job once where I lived way out from where I worked and traveled the 67 miles home every night at 1 a.m. on an empty MassPike. Quite nice, because the job was a major deadline-stress-fest. Kept me from the bar and allowed me to unwind so nicely that I'd get home and fall right asleep.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Small sign with Expendable's name on it: $25.
    Expendable's pay stub: More than $25, but still way below the poverty level.
    Getting to tow some illiterate college kid's car (usually much nicer than Expendable's): Priceless.

Some things are impossible to buy with Expendable's paycheck, but it's damn entertaining to watch Main Street Towing haul Blaine's Daddy's car down the road on a hook. :D

5. CRM

CRM Member

I used to live five minutes from the office at my old gig. New one had me at 27 miles and about 35-40 minutes, sometimes over an hour if there were traffic jams. Just moved to a better location and it is a nice easy 25-minute drive, no matter the traffic. It makes a difference.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

37 miles, 42 miles or 47 miles depending on which way I go.
    Time? It has taken me anywhere between 40 minutes to three hours.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thank god for the train.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Some of these commutes are shorter than mine. And I thought I had it great.

My commute takes me anywhere from seven to 12 minutes, depending on a street light.

9. accguy

accguy Member

I live 7.5 miles away. It's about a 15 minute drive. 20 with bad traffic.

It's not that bad at all.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mine is about 20 steps, bedroom to office.

First newspaper job though was about 55 miles. I was living with my girlfriend (now wife) and she had a good-paying job, while mine definitely was not. Like some said earlier, the longish commute was nice to listen to the radio coming into work and then settling down after work, etc., but it was so damn long that I was all radioed- or settled-out by about mile 30. Plus it was a job where our coverage area was huge, so I would spend at least another hour every day driving to/from games and such. A very long year for the Jeep Cherokee.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My commuting rule of thumb is that the commute is too long if I can't withstand the drive on a hypothetical day when I was sick and needed to leave early to go home. So for me 30-something minutes or less is doable.

My current commute is right about there. Some mornings it's closer to 45 minutes. I drive 9 miles on pretty congested city streets.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

We used to live in outer-ring, good-school suburbia and have decided that we will sacrifice many other things (even home ownership) to have a reasonable commute.

Draft saved Draft deleted