1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

5 minute drive.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Two jobs.

One is about five minutes or a mile's walk from my current digs.
    Other is an hour without traffic, about 1:20 going to work (and with the rush-hour traffic).

Had one office that was a half-mile walk from my then-apartment. That wasn't the only reason I was there all too often, but it was a contributing factor.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I pay for a parking space, but it's in a garage. I only use it probably 10 days a year, though, if there's no street parking on the street directly around the building or if it's going to snow or ice.

Otherwise, street parking. $20 a paycheck to use it 10 days. Goddammit.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're not going to live there?

Anyhoo, I have a 5-minute commute when Jersey traffic ain't being a bizzo across Route 1 that is under construction galore.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks.

Our only problem is we sometimes don't have enough parking spaces for everyone that works here. Like this week, we've had a roofing company here putting a tin roof on the building, and their equipment took up a whole row of spaces in the back parking lot Wednesday and a whole other row today in the front of the building.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You get used to paying for the garage. It blows, but unless you know you've got a free place to park -- within reasonable walking distance -- what else can you do in the city?

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

My commute is 12 steps, up to the office in my attic. It used to take me about three hours, when TLC ran all those awesome Bill Kurtis shows during the daytime, especially American Justice. Now that TLC's just a bunch of shit about the playful lives of midgets, I can get up those stairs in about a half-hour.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

All those Bill Kurtis shows are on A&E now . . .

Not that I would ever spend 3-4 hours a day doing nothing while being sucked in by the sound of that man's voice.

9. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

three minutes. Five if the traffic is bad.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

No garage here. Just a couple of lots near the building. Gotta pay something like $13 a month to get a permit. It isn't much, but half the newsroom refuses to pay it. At least I get a decent walk out of it.

Could be worse. I heard the situation was terrible in Burlington, VT where employees had to pay to park in lots six blocks away. Sucks if you work the desk and have to walk that far in the dark to get to your car. Wouldn't expect anything less at a Gannett shop.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

I live in the D.C. area, and when I moved recently, keeping my commute short was of utmost importance. Traffic-wise, I can't imagine a worse area than here. An absolute friggin disaster. I'm willing to pay out the nose on rent to keep my daily commute somewhat sane.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's about 15 minutes, on average. Either driving all the way, or about 10ish by train, and the rest by car. Going to work it makes absolutely no difference, and the extra buck I pay to take the train is well worth not having to deal with morons on the roads. Instead I just listen to my ipod and do some reading. I'd get home faster if I drove, but again, not dealing with the lights and everything else is a fine tradeoff for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted