1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Community Sports Writer in Hannibal, Mizzou

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've been to Hannibal several times and had a friend go to school there. Basically, it's like every other sub-20k population town in America, with a bunch of chain restaurants and nothing really to do except several Mark Twain-related tourist traps. St. Louis is 1 1/2 hours away, Chicago probably four or so.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

friends don't let friends matriculate in hannibal.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is this still a Morris paper or one that was sold recently?

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Interviewed with Mary Lou for a news job many years ago, on my own dime. She didn't have the courtesy to call to tell me I didn't get it, just sent a form letter. Oh well. I wound up getting hired by a much better paper on the other side of the state, which happens to have an opening at the moment, so things worked out well.
    About the town: It f***ing sucks. I remember when the clock struck 5, all I heard on Main Street was slamming doors. Amazing. It's not bad for a day trip from St. Louis if you like Clemens (Samuel, not Roger); no way would I want to live there.

5. thejo

thejo Guest

Why do you bag jobs?

Are you all employed at the the big papers and break news everday? Sometimes the mundane an simple that you think the paper has is loca; aned imp-ortant news to the foldks living in the townh.

It's all relative.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I understand your point thejo, but you won't win anyone over if you can't spell. (It's just this post either).

Also, it's good for people to know if a shop wants someone to interview on their own dime or doesn't help with moving expenses.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

WTF? was that second graph caused by a seizure?

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Mary Lou interviewed at a former paper where I worked and she was enthusiastic, but if I remember correctly, she didn't sell herself and for me, I'd wonder if she could sell a job well.

We'll leave it at, I wasn't impressed by her.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is she the one with the new pair of shoes?

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

I thought that was some weird attempt at sarcastic humor. If it wasn't, then I really feel sorry for thejo.

Draft saved Draft deleted