1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Community sports editor, Lawrence KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, has this hot position been filled? i'd like to know if even one person outside Lawrence applied for the job.

2. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

I guarantee you several college grads from all over applied for this job. Every college grad wants a full-time job in college town, so they can still drink cheap booze and fuck stupid hot women.

The key here is to make sure they don't take a liking to anyone on their beat. That's a conflict of interest.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That might have been the skankiest (is that a word?) post I've read on this site in a year.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not to mention criminal in 48 states (West Virginia and Arkansas excepted).

(ducking!)

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Isn't it only illegal in 47? You forgot Kentucky.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But still not enough to cost you a football scholly at VPI. ;)

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

keeping my reply away from arkansas-like levels, i completely disagree. why would someone want to move to kansas to interview M-E-A-G-A-N, move to lawrence, which has a high cost of living -- the average house there costs $155,000, and for the midwest that's hella expensive -- work for a paper with less than a 20k circ. with a sports staff of, is it two? ... and one of those guys is probably going to be a lifer.

really man, i don't get it. if someone is stupid enough to apply for this ... enjoy.

if this is so sought after, does anyone know of one person who applied?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If you think the Lawrence J-W has a sports staff of two then you have no idea what you are talking about. You're probably not going to move to Lawrence and buy a house with this job, but plenty of affordable apartments are available. Being a community sports editor in Lawrence would suck, but being a prep writer in Paducah would probably suck a lot more.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

$155,000 for an average house? That's to die for in my neck of the woods.

10. The level of idiocy just continues to grow regarding this paper.

First, the Lawrence Journal-World has nothing better to do than cover Baker University. Now it has a sports staff of 2. If this is the type of research you people do as reporters, you might not be cut out for a community sports beat.

For the record, the J-W has a full-time sports staff of 7 and four part-timers who are used quite extensively. This doesn't even account for the Community Sports editor.

I don't know many 20,000-circ. papers that can boast of that type of manpower. Which is why many people inside the industry consider this one of the best small papers in the country.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would imagine that by having free reign over this section, you have the power to guide it in a good direction -- maybe you could even guide it away from the under-12 gamer route and do some very good enterprise, and I think youth sports is an enterprise gold mine waiting to happen.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Also, does community sports have to be little kids? I'm sure there are plenty of interesting stories in Lawrence about local athletes that aren't necessarily playing organized sports in high school or college. This paper is generally on the cutting edge in terms of ideas and technology so I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking for someone forward thinking for this job as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted