1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Community journalism (bowling, racing, etc.)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If you get some results in a timely fashion and run them, you are 9/10 home. If the dude isn't half bad, go ahead and let him write a monthly notebook or something but give him strongly worded guidelines about what you expect him to contribute and what not to contribute.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Start running agate. Winners and qualifying. Tell your local gear head he has until 10 p.m. to file whatever results he has. If he misses deadline, don't run his stuff. Most of these guys just like seeing their names in the paper anyway.
    My first job was working at a paper that had a third-mile NASCAR track in town. It drew 6,000 to 10,000 people every Saturday night. Even had a Truck Series race one year. There were three of us on staff. During summer, we had three things to cover, PONY baseball, American Legion baseball and the race track. I was low man, so to speak, and got to cover the race track. Loved it and still do it.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Was in a very similar situation at my first paper. Some of my best stories -- and the only time I have had to cover an on-field tragedy; I was 20 at the time -- came from the Saturday night races at the 3/8-mile short track just outside of town.

Draft saved Draft deleted