1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Community Golf Reporter - The Villages Daily Sun - The Villages, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nickfeely, Apr 23, 2019.

1. nickfeely

nickfeely New Member

The Villages Daily Sun, America's fastest growing daily newspaper in the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan area, is seeking a community golf reporter to join its award-winning sports department.

Our community is home to more holes of golf than any single location in the world — 684 holes and still building — including 12 championship courses. Our primary focus is on our local golf scene, though there is some regional travel to cover occasional Florida tournaments. This position requires deep mastery of the sport and the ability to provide commentary as well as event coverage and enterprise storytelling. At least three years of reporting experience is preferred.

We’re a community-first newsroom, not a digital-first newsroom. This means that we place high value on content that is reported and edited at the local level, for a print-centric product, to the highest standards of excellence. We reward unconventional storytelling in an atmosphere in which good storytellers can become great.

The Daily Sun is part of a media group that also creates a daily television newscast, operates a radio station and produces a monthly lifestyles magazine to which our staffers contribute.

Apply by sending your resume and a brief cover letter to the attention of Staff Development Editor Rachel Whetstone at rachel.whetstone@thevillagesmedia.com. And then fill out the online application for the reporter position at Reporter REQ#4832 - compasshrm

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, this would be interesting, if only to find out how seriously people there take golf, tournaments etc. I figure it would be like the politics beat in DC. Imagine if you were a prep sports reporter and every story you wrote cost a kid a scholarship....

3. This sounds awesome. I know a little bit about golf, but I'm going to send my resume and cover letter to them anyway.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I think of a "community" golf reporter there more as someone who is covering retirees playing golf every day with weekend tournaments.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Having cut my teeth in this wretched business typing golf and bowling results for an agate page, I can ONLY IMAGINE the kind of results 684 holes could produce!

rb

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hole in one 117 yards - 5 wood.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The pickleball beat is where all the action is.

RonClements likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wisecracks aside, don't sell this gig short. My first job out of school was in Leesburg, down the road from The Villages. The Daily Sun was our competition, and I'd go there on occasion to cover events (and no, not the 65-and-over low net championships). Me and a couple others from the newsroom would also play there sometimes on our days off because there were so many courses. You have to see it to believe it. And yeah, the residents are old but they read, and read. I'm not sure any of the big Florida metros have had full-time golf writers for quite some time, but good on the Daily Sun.

maumann, nickfeely and RonClements like this.
  9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Watch out for the golf cart traffic jams and rampant STD problem in the city.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away here. Almost all of those full-time reports will be community intramurals, right? Wee-Haw.

RonClements likes this.
  11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away: A copy editing job at this paper, posted on journalism jobs.com, pays $16 to $16.50 an hour. (An extra 50 cents for those with master's degrees?)

Draft saved Draft deleted