1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Community Colleges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 20, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That would be great if we also cut spending at other times. (And, many would argue that the government should up spending in bad times, and cut it in good times.)

But, we can't always choose to spend, and when doing so, inaugurate new programs, which will last forever, and only grow -- often way beyond the what was ever originally intended.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, no it couldn't. I have taught at community colleges, I've taught students from community colleges (transferring into my four-year universities), and I've taught instructors who work at community colleges. There is a marked difference in the intellectual atmosphere at a community college.

Does that mean there aren't damn good students at community colleges? Hell no. Does that mean there aren't damn good instructors at community colleges? Hell no. And does that mean there aren't dipwad students/instructors at four-years? Hell no. But don't kid yourself that a typical community college class is "just as good" as a typical four-year class. It's rarely going to be even close.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is an interesting point. In my experience, there were essentially two types of CC students. Lazy, disruptive assholes who had nothing better to do and people who were motivated to use the CC to get as far away from those assholes as quickly as possible.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My view is that the CCs are worth having to continue to nurture those students who would otherwise have been abandoned from the traditional 4 yr model; if we have to tolerate the a-holes, that's the price society has to pay, I'm okay with that. Can't be perfect.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree with you but these are still "bad times" for most people. Until the recovery creates demand in the job market and you begin to see salary growth, I believe we still need to stimulate the economy. Our recovery has been much stronger so far than the recovery anywhere else in the world because a) the fed did everything it could and b) Obama (and GWB before him) enacted stimulus programs.

The recovery would have been stronger still had Congress not obstructed Obama.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  6. YankeeFan

And guess which one we'll get more of if this plan were to be adopted?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I actually don't think it would change that much. The disruptive assholes often were behaving that way because they weren't paying for it, but their parents were. Being a prick and wasting your time on your own dime? Didn't see that much.

That's why it should always cost something. I think when I was there it was around $25-30 a unit. Now it's around $50. I wouldn't mind it being cheaper, including books, which were always more expensive than tuition.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Again, you're overlooking the stipulation that the students need to maintain their grades. How will that mean more lazy, disruptive students. And as Snark says, most of the assholes were just there because their folks were paying for it. This is totally different.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Think the rules for this will be as stringent as most government programs?

10. YankeeFan

The plan requires a 2.5 GPA. That's a C+ average. That's not very aggressive.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think it should be at least 3.0. But they will have to make an effort.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Many people will take a full load at CC for two years and move onto university without the thought of getting the CC degree, but they will earn a B.A. or a B.S.

Using graduation rates from CC has a guideline will probably be inaccurate.

GPA sounds good.

Draft saved Draft deleted