1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Communications Coordinator, Chicago Fire Soccer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by imjustagirl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know nothing of Bridgeview or the COL therein. But figured I'd post this.
  2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

A search reveals the Fire were looking for a VP of Communications in February. The successful applicant also will be working with a fairly new boss. Full disclosure, is all...

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Though the pay blows for living in a major market, this sounds like a really cool gig.
  4. Gregg Elkin is the VP of Communication ... and from what I've heard, he sounds like a good enough guy.

The pay is low, but 30-35k is actually really competitive for a number 4 media relations contact - and unless something is restructured in their office, I believe this will be a number 4 position.

There are plenty of nice towns in the Chicago area that would be affordable with this paycheck ...
  5. Nola4520

Nola4520 Member

Gregg Elkin will leave the Fire once the postseason is over to go back to the Dallas area as director of athletic communications at Texas-Arlington, so I'm not sure how the Fire will restructure its PR department.
  6. An interesting twist to the plot...
  7. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Has applications for this position already passed? The link does not direct you to this job.
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Apparently so. I followed the link and actually clicked on a couple things to get me to the Fire page, and all the listings are for internships now.
  9. The same Gregg Elkin who was the basketball SID at Indiana?

If so, uhh, never mind.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My first experiences as a journo dealing with an SID were with Elkin while at IU. During soccer season he was terrific, during basketball season not so much, but in that case I think he was just mirroring his boss, Mr. Knight.
  11. Agreed.
  12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thirded. He wasn't too tough on baseball either, though he loved to make fun of the student radio announcers.
Draft saved Draft deleted