1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Communicating from beyond

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by huntsie, Jul 17, 2009.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

You're going to think this is crazy, but here goes:

A good friend of mine, a fellow I worked with for 20 years or so, passed away a couple of months ago. He was my best friend in the world. I did the eulogy at his funeral.
    He was our main stringer, but since he wasn't a full timer, had no benefits. No life insurance. He left behind his wife and a 13-year-old son.
    We did a couple of fund raisers to help the family out, one of which was passing buckets through the stands for donations at the local auto racing track. He was our guy out there for 15 years and cultivated a broad readership.
    Anyway, the yield the night we did it was something like $3,000, about half of it in change.
    My wife and I spent the next afternoon rolling the change to take it to the bank to turn in to bills to give to the family.
    Here's where it gets...eerie maybe.
    I was sifting through the dimes -- some $120 worth -- and among them was a pewter medallion. On one side, the figure of an angel, wings, and halo, with the script "Watching over Shannon."
    On the other, this inscription: Shannon. Each day and all night through, a Guardian Angel is watching over you."

My 21 year-old daughter's name...Shannon.
    Maybe it's a fluke. A cosmic coincidence. But it's enough to make this cynic a believer.

My buddy knew better than most how close my daughter and I are. She's a little mixed up right now -- happy, but unsure of what her next move should be...wanting a little more out of life. She wants to travel and see the world and wants a career that will help her do that. But she's not sure which one.
    I know she will be fine. She's smart, funny, talented, pretty, resourceful and not afraid of hard work. I was confident in her before. And now I believe my buddy is watching over her.

Or perhaps I'm grieving my friend and analyzing too much?

Anyone have any similar experiences they care to share?

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

huntsie: I don't have anything to offer similar in nature, but I do know this -- I got goose bumps reading your post.

For what it's worth, I don't believe you're analyzing too much at all.

And I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Blessings to you.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Huntsie, just ask yourself this: Does it really matter if it's just a coincidence? Sometimes just having a little hope, in this case that your best friend is looking over your daughter, is enough to get you through something. Whether it's somehow real or not, if it helps you cope (both with his death and your worry about your daughter), then let it be as real as you need it to be and take solace that maybe, just maybe, he really is.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I am a skeptic.

Someone unintentionally put that medallion in the collection basket. It seems like it could be one of those items you could pick up at a truck stop by your description. Shannon also is a common name. In your state of emotional distress, you sought out something to soothe your pain. You found it in this item.

If supernatural agents had been at work, why not put your daughter's full name on the medallion? Or make it a more personal message?

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Nothing wrong with being a skeptic... I was, too for years about this stuff. Hell, I am a journalist. We're taught to question everything.

Until my fiancee passed away, and I began to experience some of these things for myself. My skepticism vanished pretty quickly.

Huntsie ... and you will discover this if you do some research ... Dimes are a common vehicle for spirit communication. I believe the fact that the medallion was among the dimes is no coincidence.

And as far as why the daughter's full name wasn't on the medallion, or a more personal message: It doesn't work that way. Spirits don't like to hit us over the head with things. They work in more subtle ways. They trust that we will figure out on our own what they're trying to tell us ... just as Huntsie apparently did.

Very neat story. I'm sorry for your loss ... he sounds like a great guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted