1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 15, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So does 1990, for that matter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Bruce Benedict...Claudell Washington...and the Captain, Bob Horner!

It's the Atlanta Braves on TBS!!

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno. I kind of liked the '81 set. Thought the caps were cool. The 1990 cards are an abomination, no question about it.

I have more of them than any one year, but I never understood the '83 set. Colors that didn't match the teams were a minus (actually Topps did that shit all the time, several 70s sets are like that too, why?), though the mug shot in the corner probably forced their hand to include more action shots, which is a plus.

The 1984 set is pretty ugly too. Big garish font down the side. Blech.

What's funny to me is Topps was so lazy, they'd just appropriate their football design for their baseball cards the next spring, or vice versa. Here's one of their 1985 Topps football cards ...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    1985 Topps football 1986 Topps baseball

[​IMG][​IMG]
    1986 Topps football 1987 Topps baseball

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I will never say a bad word about 1987 Topps, as I've noted on this board many times.

First set I ever collected -- and only set I have ever owned. I loved those cards. Still do.

5. Bubbler

Love '87 Topps, love '86 Topps football, but they are essentially the same design.

6. Bubbler

Speaking of football, remember the halcyon days when Topps didn't have the NFL license and had to air-brush the logos off? Some of their airbrush efforts were pretty hilarious, such as this color-challenged 49er helmet ...

[​IMG]

I also recall that Topps would produce an entire team's worth of cards for the good teams, but the shit teams would get maybe 10 or 12 cards apiece, half of them offensive linemen or punters, whose cards were the worst. Being that I followed a shit team back then, I was always disappointed at the slim Packer pickings back in the late 70s.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I have Topps 84-87 back at my parents' house in the spare bedroom closet. Wow, good stuff.

Turner Field, the house that Biff Pocoroba built.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I only know this from having his card: "Peter Sven Broberg."

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Biff Pocaroba is the classic "common" guy, but his name is too good. Kind of like Mickey Klutts or Dickie Thon.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lots of Dickie Thon and Chris James cards. Todd Benzinger seemed to pop up a lot. Hubie Brooks as well.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Brooks had some very good seasons with the Expos. He always flashed talent with the Mets.

Some other cards I used to get a lot:

Ron Roeneicke
    Cecilo Guante
    Nick Esasky
    Joe Sambito
    Onix Concepcion
    U.L. Washington

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Also Bill Spiers, Stan Javier, Glenn Hubbard, Bill Swift, and Glenn Braggs.

Draft saved Draft deleted