1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 15, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is probably a Buckweaver question, but I wonder who the most average major league baseball player has been.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

My friends and I still play this game with each other...naming the most obscure role-players from the early to late '80's that we can think of until we're exhausted. We called it 'the Bad-Name Game.'

Examples:
    Max Venable
    Ed Farmer
    Steve Kemp (I'm a life-long Mets fan, yet I used to imitate his swing all the time...no idea why it stuck in my head)
    Many of the 1987 'Come to Birdland' Baltimore Orioles, from Floyd Rayford to Mike Young, from Randy 'Moose' Milligan (who lived in my neighborhood growing up) to the one-year wonder, Don Aase.

I could play this game for days.

3. DanOregon

I always loved those players that didn't seem to bring much to the table that seemed to hang on forever. Fred Stanley, Tim Flannery, Mark Belanger, the lefty-middle reliever.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ah, Don Aase. He's royally pissed that he's not the first ballplayer alphabetically. Damn you David Aardsma.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Rowland Office, anyone? And sorry, IJAG, but Beau Allred....DAMN, he was bad. How about Turner and Colby Ward? Jack Perconte? Duffy Dyer? As stated before, I think I got a Steve Braun card in every pack of 1985 Topps I ever bought.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll see your Rowland Office and raise you a Tony Brizzolara.

7. DanOregon

Went to a Giants-Phillies game at Candlestick as a kid, a Phillie (loved that team - Schmidt, Boone, Bowa, Sizemore, McBride, Luzinski...) was signing near their dugout and got in line, shoved my pad up, he signed, couldn't figure out who it was. Finally deciphered it - it was Rawly Eastwick.

And Bill Almon deserves a mention on this thread.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As does Mike Lum

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Padres and Giants infielder Paul Faries. Seemed to be in every pack I opened of a Fleer '91 box my brother got for me at some card show back then.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Larvelle Blanks
    Kiko Garcia
    Julio and Todd Cruz, The Cruz Connection
    Dave Freisleben
    Wayne Krencheki
    Jim Morrison (of the White Sox, not the Doors)

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Seems like I had a million of each of the following:

Kal Daniels
    Dave Goltz
    Bill Nahorodny
    Mike Ivey
    Chris Speier
    Gary Sutherland
    Dick Drago
    Ron Pruitt
    Bill Schroeder
    Francisco Barrios
    Bruce Bochte (not be confused with future manager Bochy)
    Pepe Frias
    Sid Monge
    Elias Sosa

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Phillies also had Shane Rawley. Guess they were required to have a Rawley on their roster at all times in those days.
    Speaking of the Phils and the Delaware Valley...

Warren Bruster
    Dave Gallagher
    Steve Braun
    Jay Johnstone

Draft saved Draft deleted