1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Courtesy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Just wondering what people think; if you've applied for another job, do you tell your current editor/boss you've done so?

And, if you get an interview (on your day off) because of said application, do you then tell your boss/editor?

Everywhere I've been, I've given my respective sports ed and MEs the head's up that I've applied elsewhere. However, where I'm at now, I think my editor would hold it against me - especially if I don't get the new gig.

Your thoughts?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you think your boss may hold it against you, you are going on a day off and don't know if you will get the job, why would you even wonder if you should tell your boss?

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

don't tell anyone anything until you have something to say.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

that works well in a lot of situations other than job applications, too ...

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Exactly. Tell him you're looking elsewhere and it changes the perception of you. They start thinking you're not long for their place, and they start planning around you. Keep it yourself. Don'tlie if they find out and ask about it, but don't volunteer any information.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's none of his fucking business.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

It doesn't benefit you to tell your supervisors that you are applying for another job.

Don't be a dummy.

8. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

But don't be an idiot the other way, either.
    In some cases, your boss may be VERY well connected and is sure to find out.
    I know that my supervisor would know if I was going to be in the mix for a job, probably even before I knew it. Heck, might even tell me about it. It would be pretty stupid of me to be going for jobs and have him find it out elsewhere.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So is that against the law or something?

If he does find out, a simple, "Yeah, but I didn't want to say anything unles it looked like they might be serious" should take care of that.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't tell anybody anything until you have something IN WRITING from your new employer.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Doesn't quite work that way if the prospective employer asks to speak to your current employer. At that point, it's appropriate to tell your current boss.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends. I've told and I've not told. Not everyone's out to screw you, not everyone plays nice. And some papers know they're only going to have you for a year or two, they expect it, they want you to move up and will help you if they can. There's no blanket rule -- you probably know who you trust and who you don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted