1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commercials that make you want to cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I cry for the poor cows getting slaughtered because you don't eat at Chick Fil A.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

My mom, God love her, would, given the choice between running over me or a cat, would point the car to me and hit the gas. Or a dog. Or a racoon. Squirrel's 50/50.

Anyhow, one day one of those Chik-Fil-A ads comes on, the one where the cows are parachuting into the football stadium. One of them lands on a burger salesman.

My mom starts panicking, thinking it was a remote and these cows had just did their version of the turkeys in WKRP. I had to explain that it was an ad, and nobody got hurt for real and the only one that got hurt in the script was the burger guy.

That was OK with her.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am a good dog, and I just want to go home.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Those Pacific Bell commercials always did it for me.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's a commercial from 20-25 years ago that I hadn't thought of until recently, but remembering it made me really sad. It was about a little boy holding a teddy bear and trying to sleep on a bench in an office. The kid asks his mom: "Mommy, when can we go home?" and the mom replies, "Soon honey, try to go to sleep," while the mom is trying to clean the office.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, just want to make this clear up front: Despite another admission, I don't want y'all to think I weep openly at the drop of a hat (and it's not a commercial), but I've been sick and partaking of a bunch of daytime TV. Specifically, I've been watching Ellen Degeneres' show, and she's been on a run of finding good people who are in serious financial trouble and surprising them, sometimes at their home, with $35,000, cars, and a whole bunch of stuff.

The reactions of these folks, who are being pulled out of dire circumstances, makes me cry every time.

There. I said it.

Oh, and the Browns make me cry every week. Okay, not really, but they make me want to cry. :p

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The ones that always got me were the old Kodak ads: "When was the last time you took a picture of your Dad?" EVERY time I'm with my Dad and he's taking the pictures I think of those ads and make sure he gets on the other side of the camera.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They didn't make me cry, but the two commericials that Mark Eaton and Bill Cartwright did for child abuse sure as hell could make a huge (no pun intended) impression:

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And as counterbalance to all the schmaltzy dog ads:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. highlander

highlander Member

That is a well done commercial. I also like the one where the guy takes the girl to memorable spots in the their relationships. Then they get to one she doesn't remember and he gets on his knee and says "you will" while opening a ring box.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The funniest part of this, though, was a few issues later when they casually mentioned on the credits page, "Oh, by the way, we shot the dog."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That would be some effective advertising.

Draft saved Draft deleted