1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commencement speeches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 26, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Off topic, but the genius of that scene is that the mayor really does want to get through his speech, which is awesome. Even though he's totally evil and about to kill everyone, I like it that he really wants to make some snotty points about teenagers and how they don't respect their elders. And then, of course, The Scooby Gang whoops that ass, but I appreciate that Whedon had the mayor stay true to character right to the end.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Just ascend already" was the best line of the season.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Had the Rev. Jesse Jackson at my law school commencement. He was the essence of a moving orator. He gave a nice rousing call to look forward to the future.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I had Peter Ueberroth... I remember nothing.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Fixed. :p

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Laura Bush spoke at SMU last week, her alma mater, and commented that she had skipped commencement for her master's degree. The speaker that day was her future father-in-law.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Gov. Mills Godwin.
    SIX minutes. SIX. Loved it.

I was at Virginia Tech's graduation the year of the shootings. My future daughter-in-law was graduating.
    Pres. Charles Steger gave a 16-minute speech that was unlike any I've ever heard. Incredible and I told him as much when I saw him in town later that weekend. Not a dry eye in the place.
    The real speaker - the general who had been in charge in Iraq, Abizad or something? - had NO chance. None. I don't think anyone heard a word he said.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My group got Matt Lauer, who was quite funny. The afternoon grouping got Hillary Clinton, who was good, but not nearly as much fun :D

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Plus, he's almost as short as you!

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Now that's just mean. I have like an inch on him when I wear heels!

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I didn't go to my main one. The J-school had a TV anchor. I was extremely hungover and trying to gear up for another night of boozing.

I just read the speech Chris Buckley gave at Yale. It's on the Daily Beast and it's pretty damn amusing.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

For as much as I disagreed with his dad on issues, Bill was a damned funny guy, too. For Christmas, my sis gave me a collection of his work in the NR, "Cancel Your Own Damned Subscription." Lots of good, erudite stuff.
    But, I digress...

Draft saved Draft deleted