1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commemorative issues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Nov 9, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

No matter what your politics, if you can't throw partisanship aside and see that this was a history-making event, then I'm not getting it.

It's good business AND it's good journalism. It's serving your readers.

Case in point: If your hometown team wins one of the major professional sports titles, and the paper prints a special section, is there a journalistic problem with that?

Not any place I've ever worked.

This was the equivalent thing in cities across nation, and if it makes the losing side ornery, well, whatever.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I heard it was $2.50 a pop. Is that true?

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Originally it was the Sunday price, $1.50. I don't know what it is on newstands now. On the Post website, it's $9.95.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, this was a no-brainer to run a commemorative edition.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Newspapers = Instant Nostalgia.

Funny, but readers have been treating us that way for a while now.

Selling them two-day old news (or last week's or last month's) isn't the answer we're seeking. Selling them yesterday's news today and tomorrow and all the tomorrows after that is a bit dicier.

Ain't nobody framing those front pages for the ads, so maybe we should charge the readers more as SOP. Both for print and for online.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The C-J included a reprint of its A section in Sunday's paper.

But, if you didn't get the Sunday paper, don't fret. You can order an unframed print of the front page for only $99.99. Add $50 for a framed copy.

Don't have $100? You can't still buy a piece of history! You can buy a commemorative mug for $15 or a Christmas ornament for $19!

Interested? Click here, but let's not all go at the same time for fear that we might crash the site.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I totally get the magnitude of a black president being elected. Sure, it's a big story. Still I don't think the hometown team analogy works. Obama's not Atlanta's, or Georgia's, hometown team. He's from Illinois by way of Hawaii, and McCain carried the state. So the sports analogy loosely equates to the AJC doing a commemorative section for the Phillies winning the World Series.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Or it's like the AJC doing a commemorative section for Michael Phelps winning all those gold medals. Only it's, like, partisan and about someone they'll be providing news coverage and hopefully scrutiny for the next four or eight years, at least.

If I'm going to buy a front-page souvenir, not sure why I'd buy the one from my local paper. The WaPo or NYT would be a more impressive memento.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why wouldn't there have been a special issue if mccain had been elected? would've been the nation's first female veep.

as for the special front page prints being hawked by the c-j and the dmn, among others i'm sure, for a hundred bucks a pop, why not just go download a free pdf from newseum.org?

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What's the newseum's pdf resolution? 72 dpi? While that's good for screens, that's not good print quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted