1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comma before 'according to'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, Jun 5, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I sure how the search function returns so I can track down this discussion the next time I'm confused about using a comma before according to -- which I never am...

;)

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I think we're on the same side of the fence here. I was merely explaining how it might not need a comma, depending on the meaning of the example in the OP. And to simply say a comma is needed every time "according to" is used is wrong. Most times, yes. Most times in non-shitty writing, probably. But every time? No. Lesson 1 for teaching writing, or anything: avoid absolutes. There's always an exception. And yeah, if style says to do it, do it. Then work hard to change a shitty style book.

Liut and JRoyal like this.
  3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We are. I'm just being an ass (mostly playfully). I've had to work hard to change many shitty styles in my days. And yet we still capitalize tournament here when we say "NCAA Tournament." Drives me fucking insane.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted