1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comma before 'according to'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Is a comma before 'according to' mandatory in a news report? If you're attributing something to police?

My boss told me it is, but I feel like it isn't.

Craig had a double cheeseburger for dinner and apple pie for dessert in what was a banner night according to friend Ernie Johnson.
    Craig went to the store and bought a bunch of crazy suits, according to friends.

I just thought of these off the top of my head so these may not be the best examples, but I feel like both of these sentences feel right. Could be wrong obviously.

Liut likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’d use the comma. That clause needs some separation.

fossywriter8 and Liut like this.
  3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If your publication uses the comma, use it. If it doesn’t, don’t. Consistency is the point of style.

Liut likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just don't suffer from ,premature punctuation.

BTExpress, Liut and Slacker like this.
  5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

It's a subordinate, secondary, dependent thought. Use the comma, especially if the preceding statement is long or complex.

Liut likes this.
  6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Use the comma at that juncture, according to a lot of people.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It absolutely is necessary. Just say it aloud. Do you pause before you say according? I hope so because otherwise you'd sound like a guy calling an auction.

Craig Sagers Tailor likes this.
  8. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Thanks for the input. I usually go by the rule of inserting one when 'taking a breath' in a sentence. I guess people can differ on when that 'breath' comes.

I also think our outlet uses way too many commas in general, but that's just me.

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

In your first example, it all depends on what was according to Ernie Johnson. Was Ernie just talking about the banner night? If so, no comma. Was Ernie telling a story about Craig, his burger and pie, and the banner night? If so, then comma.

In your second example, it's clear attribution. So, comma.

10. Though when attributing a fact to a human, it’s better to say said. But, yes, comma.

Fred siegle and reformedhack like this.
  11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Elaine: Well, you know Jake, you should learn to use them. Like the way I'm talking right now, I would put an exclamation points at the end of all these sentences! On this one! And on that one!

12. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Yes, also because you'd definitely use the comma if you reverse the order:

According to friends, Craig went to the store and bought a bunch of crazy suits.

MNgremlin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted