1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming up next on PBS: The War of 1812

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

What's a battle (that rattle)?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Always disappointed that historians couldn't come up with a better name for this war, given that it lasted nearly 3 years.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's an interesting alt-history premise: What if the Brits had diverted enough resources to the East Coast to launch a full-scale occupation attack, take AND HOLD Washington D.C. march up through Baltimore and then into Philadelphia, while at the same time a northern column moves down from Canada.

I could see the original New England colonies (Vt., N.H., Mass, Ct., R.I, the Hudson tier of N.Y, N.J, Delaware and the eastern halves of Pennsylvania and Maryland) being retaken as a province of Canada.

The Midwest and South probably would have remained under U.S. control but my guess is it would have been several decades before the U.K. turned loose of New England again (probably about 1860ish I would guess).

My bet also is that Maine, NH, VT, the northern half of NY and the U.P. of Michigan would still be Canadian today.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

She saved the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Of course her greatest contribution to the American fabric was creating the cream-filled cupcake and the zinger.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't forget her tireless patronage of numerous Peanuts television specials during the 1970s and 80s.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If that had happened, there wouldn't have been anything standing in the way of them consolidating and then retaking the rest of the continent except Andy Jackson's army. Especially after Napoleon bit it, which freed up British resources.

On the other hand, if Napoleon had held on a bit longer, there's a good chance the Americans outbattle the Brits in a war of attrition and Toronto becomes just another Midwestern city.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Damned solid work, you guys.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fucking Canadian English in disguise. I spit in Horseshoe Falls this weekend as my small way of protest/solidarity with AMERICA!

(I actually suggested to my kids that I would spit in Horseshoe Falls so "part of me" could say it went over Niagara Falls. Then ... I never did it. BUT WE BUSTED A MUSKET CAP IN YOUR ASSES ANYWAY! AMERICAN FUCK YEAH, ETC.!)

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The U.P. would have been more trouble than it would have been worth for Canada. With the only access point being the Soo, it would have been a pain to defend in any other conflict, and all you'd get out of it was the north shore of the Straits of Mackinac. Had they known about the copper, they might have tried to take it, but that discovery was 30 years away, and it's a long way from the Soo to the Keweenaw.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

in reading some things on the bicentenial a couple things strike me, first the entire war in the midwest from the US perspective was a giant comedy of errors with the exception of the naval battles on Lake Erie. I mean letting the Brits take Mackinac with ONE GUN?! Also it seemed the biggest fear was the traditional British ally (and muse of the founding fathers) the Haudenasaunee. American generals hear the British are coming, they man up. They hear the Haudenasaunee are on the way, they piss their pants and run.
    Also I guess we kinda kicked the British Navy's ass.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge history expert, but I was always under the impression where this is the war that we lost a lot of battles, got our capital burned down, agreed to drop all our demands that started the war, and call it a "tie" in the history books.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

our biggest demand was that the British stop kidnapping our fishermen and forcing them to serve in the British Navy, which Parliment agreed to just before Congress declared war, but news traveled slow so nobody in Washington knew what London had done until afterwards and we just decided to go ahead with the whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted