1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming up next on PBS: The War of 1812

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

200th Anniversary fast approaching. Will be a big deal up here. Whatever mythology we have as Canadians, this is a big part.

http://www.pbs.org/wned/war-of-1812/

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Man, does Toronto hold a grudge or what? :)

Seriously, Battle of New Orleans not withstanding, it was one of those wars that the US was fortunate to escape with a tie.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Today was the start...in honor we Americans should boycott Tim Hortons and Labatts for the next two years, just to show those Cunuckistanis who's boss. (thanks Coldcat for the post on my facebook)

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No spoilers, please.

I don't know how this one ends.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As part of my college studies (I was a history minor), I had to write a paper on the negotiation of the Treaty of Ghent. I had a great history professor for that class, and he (probably as sick of the Treaty of Ghent as any other history professor) encouraged me to write something more about the behind-the-scenes stuff happening as the treaty was being negotiated, rather than the Treaty itself. So that's how I wrote a 15-page paper about Henry Clay chasing Belgian tail while the puritan John Quincy Adams tried unsuccessfully to blueball him.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The US plays it down so as not to insult our friends and former terriorists - the Brits.

In 200 Years Al Qaeda will be our friend.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So this already ran last fall and they're re-running it this summer. Don't know how I missed it the first time.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's online.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2089393539

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In childhood history class this was sort of the non-descript war, all I really got was that there was this other war with England, in between the first one and the Mexican War--not quite clear why, what for, or who won--and, oh yeah, it also somehow involved Canada.

Maybe I'll watch the special and learn what our public school system failed to imprint.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This was also the war where Dolly Madison saved the White House before she started her baked goods company.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

And it was only God himself that stopped D.C. from burning to the ground....thanks to a tornado:

http://historicaldigression.com/2012/03/26/a-tornado-saves-washington-during-the-war-of-1812/

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Laura Secord also played a role, taking a break from creating delicious chocolates.

Draft saved Draft deleted