1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming up in September..TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 27, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's back. Here are some of the major films we may see at this year's TIFF.
    (Note to Mizzou: Get your ass up here) :)

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/article/840515--howell-ten-big-gets-that-could-show-up-at-tiff

Big question now is whether the Festival will screen Mel Gibson's new flick.

And there's (hopefully) a Coen brothers flick, a remake of True Grit

True Grit: Lately it feels as if it’s not TIFF without a visit by Joel and Ethan Coen, and this would be a major “get” for the fest. It’s their take on True Grit, the 1969 oater that won John Wayne his sole Best Actor Oscar. The Coens have said they want to remain truer to the source novel than the Wayne film did. This one stars Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin and Matt Damon, and it’s a natural for Toronto. Only grit in the ointment is that filming commenced in March; it will be a push to get it ready for September.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh man, none of those interest me.

Mel Gibson and a talking puppet? No thanks.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just saw the list of films. The guy from The Star was waaaay off.

I'll post more later... there are some good ones.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I mentioned this to my girlfriend & she's excited about going. She's already printed out the paperwork I need to renew my passport.

What's the scene like?

I've been to Sundance, and Park City is obviously a pretty small place, so the festival takes over the town.

Since Toronto is significantly bigger, is it swallowed up by the city, or is there a buzz around town and you know there's a big event going on?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

YF, it takes over the city for ten days. There's a buzz and an excitement that's palpable, not just because of the films but because of the constant celebrity sightings and the fact that normally staid Toronto turns into Party Central.

This year's festival is notable for two reasons: it's the 35th anniversary of TIFF and their new home TIFF Bell Lightbox will be opening on September 12, two days after the festival starts.

http://tiff.net/

If you are coming and want to stay downtown (where all the movies are shown), you'd better get a hotel room NOW or you may find yourself stuck out in the west end at the Beach Motel.

6. YankeeFan

Cool. Thanks for the info.

7. YankeeFan

Picked up my new passport today.

The trip is booked. The girlfriend is very excited.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I have a cool book promotion planned for opening night, when the first film shown will be "Score: A Hockey Musical."

Assuming that at least some of the people in attendance are actually hockey fans, handing out 4x6 brochures about the book to people as they file into the venue could be a no-brainer, right?

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Here's the best reason to go to the Toronto Film Festival:
    http://tiff.net/press/pressreleases/2010/festival-announces-complete-mavericks-line-up-bill-gates-steve-nash-philip-seymour-hoffman-and-bruce-springsteen-take-the-stage

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/promisethemakingofda#filmnote

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Totally right on the Springsteen thing. If I can get a ticket, we're driving up.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have been to TO twice while the TIFF was on, both times indavertently.

JR is spot on. There is a good vibe downtown and a fun buzz in the city.

It is also funny to see the city that bills itself as a big deal turn into a pavlov dog slobberring over celebrities, hey TO, act like you've been to the end zone before!

12. YankeeFan

Leaving for the Airport in less than an hour.

Slept like shit last night and am tired as hell, but the girlfriend & I are excited.

Draft saved Draft deleted