1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming to terms with the inevitable

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by silvershadow1981, Sep 28, 2009.

1. So seeing another thread about someone being treated unfairly gave me the courage to update this one. Still employed, still being lambasted every other day or so by this guy, even after the whole Ad Guy saga left egg on his face.

It was amazing because I got an e-mail last night from the associate publisher (his son, who's out of town for now) thanking me for all my hard work and saying I've come along away. Our associate editor randomly said to me that he likes how crisp my writing is and how I always beat deadlines.

Then publisher comes up to my desk and says "you're not working." Fun.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When he says that, tell him how much stuff you have done since you began your shift. List A, B, C and D.

And after that, ask him what he needs done. If he's mumbling to himself, tell him you deserve an apology.

3. No offense to silvershadow, I don't know a single thing about him, and can't recall a single thing he's ever posted on this site, but why does everyone automatically assume the publisher is a dick? Someone said there's nobody left in this business who's doing the bare minimum? I can call bullshit on that one. We have two people in our office who do the bare minimum, but like people in this thread have noted, firing people can be expensive for employers.

Again, silvershadow may be getting the shaft here, but sometimes the publisher's right.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not often. The huge, huge, huge majority of the time, the publisher is the publisher precisely because he's a dick.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So far, from Silvershadow's posts, he has a boss that not only bitched him out for getting some flyers wet, but also thought it was a good idea to have his advertising salesman cover football games involving his son.

Publisher's credibility tends to take a hit when stuff like that happens.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You work for a scumbag and it's tough to just take it. But I have to agree with everyone who says line something up before you head out. Also try to take the high road and that is easier said than done. You should send a reply to the publisher saying thanks, it's not to know someone appreciates your effort and hard work. Also maybe ask if you can use him for a reference or if you can use his letter. Be careful there because you don't want your scumbag boss to find out you're looking to go.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There's some weird dynamic going on here.

The publisher seems to be just getting his jollies by bagging on silvershadow. If he really wanted to fire him, he'd have done it in October and probably have had 200 resumes in the hopper the next day.

Either that or the publisher's just trying to get him to quit so he's not on the hook for unemployment. But he's going to a lot of trouble to do that. It's been four months now.

8. FB I don't know what it is. The AE came up to me after we all clocked out last night and said "sorry you have to deal with that, we all know you're working hard."

And Bristol I agree with you as well, there are some people in this industry that are just taking up space, but considering I'm the only sports reporter and I'm responsible for the entire sports section (four high schools, spot college coverage, parks/rec, compiling briefs, photos), etc., I don't think I'm one of those people.

Draft saved Draft deleted