1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming to Denver for a few days -- restaurant/music suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, May 25, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are tons of things to do in the city and away from the city. And mid-June usually is warm, but not really super hot.

2. MileHigh

Pint's is cool. It's away from the LoDo scene, kinda off on its own.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Wynkoop is really good.

4. shouldIgo..

shouldIgo.. New Member

I second the Wynkoop call. For Mexican food - it's out of downtown - on Federal Blvd, Chubby's
    Avoid at all costs both McDonald's on 16th street.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Thanks, folks.

I've noticed REM is in town one of the nights I'm there. Needless to say, a trip to Red Rocks is enticing.

6. That show is a must, OTR.

if you are going to be in boulder, you may want to check out the mountain sun, a little hippie restaurant just off the east end of the Pearl Street Mall. It is certainly the granola section of Boulder, but the food is very good and their home-brewed beer is nothing short of fantastic.

7. MileHigh

My sister and brother-in-law live in Boulder and hit up the Mountain Sun. I've been there a few times with them and it's a cool place.

8. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Forgot about Chubby's. Doesn't matter what you get, so long as it has green chile on it.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I used to go the Mountain Sun when it first opened in the mid-90s -- it's awesome. Used to watch a then-unknown band called String Cheese Incident play in front of about 40 people at happy hour.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Wow, I never knew until seeing this thread that Casa Bonita was a real place.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

It's surprising how many South Park references are lost on people not from Colorado.

12. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Yet a lot of my work buddies, with no Colorado ties, find the South Park-Colorado references a riot, particularly the Casa Bonita episode. They were all asking if the place really exists, with Black Bart's Cave and the little flag you have to raise to get more sopapillas, etc. Most of them rate that episode in their top 10, as do I.

My favorite Colorado reference isn't really a Colorado reference. It's when Cartman brings the kids along for the holidays to visit his wacked extended family in Nebraska. As they approach the Colorado-Nebraska border, a sign reads something like, "You're leaving Colorful Colorado." The next sign says, "You're in Nebraska. Sorry." Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted