1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming to Denver for a few days -- restaurant/music suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, May 25, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Oh wiser ones of SportsJournalists.com:

Making my first trip to Denver in early June, spending three nights and four days in the city. I'll have time at night to go find a good restaurant and some good music.

Those of you familiar with the city have any good tips for the best spots?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Denver Chophouse is really good.

Beau Jos is good for pizza.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Lower Downtown -- LoDo to the locals. Just walk around, you'll see something you like.

4. Tamayo is one of my favorite restaurants in LoDo, which unfortunately has been inundated by too many chains. This is not one of them. Good Mexican good, reasonably priced.

If you're willing to venture outside of LoDo, there's a small place called Taste of Thailand that's about 10-15 minutes south of downtown. I think it's the best thai food in Denver, while Mrs. CrazyCat would point you toward Tommy's Thai on East Colfax.

(You don't want to go down east Colfax if you are just visiting).

As for good music, that's considerably harder to find. I would check the Red Rocks schedule and see if there's any good shows there while you're in town. It's worth the price of admission just for the venue.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Y'all are seriously slacking:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I knew Casa Bonita would end up on this thread!

Hey, On The River, as WBCC noted above, I don't know who might be on the Red Rocks schedule, but if it's anyone you remotely like, you might want to try to go. I haven't lived in Colorado since 1994, but I've got to assume Red Rocks is still a great place to see a show. I seriously considered flying back there to see The Cure. Just couldn't make the time off and budget quite work out.

I'll second Beau Jo's for pizza. Great stuff. And I've always liked The Armadillo for mexican food. Have a good time.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Try the omlette.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Stay far FAR away from Casa Bonita. GAG.

For sure, find out the schedule at Red Rocks. The place is tremendous.

Someone mentioned Thai food. Tommy's definitely over Taste of Thailand (don't let the chatter of East Colfax totally scare you off). Chophouse is very good (across the street from Coors Field) and there are many other restaurants in LoDo as well. What do you like?

Carmines on Penn has excellent Italian food. And there are other cool places as well: Table 6. 975. Strings. Deluxe on South Broadway just opened.

Definitely can't go wrong with Beau Jos.

There are very good restaurants in Boulder as well (half hour away). If it's just at night, no sense going to Fort Collins (an hour north) to Old Towne and hit up New Belgium brewery, though highly recommended.

Feel free to PM if you have other questions.

9. Here's a potential double whammy for you:

If you are visiting Rocky Mountain National Park during your stay, be sure to stop at Oskar Blues in Lyons, a small town on the drive into the park. They've got good food, good beer and have a ton of -- you guessed it -- good, live music. Always a favorite when visiting the park.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Right on about Tommy's Thai. Delicious.

If going to Boulder, The Med is incredible. Everything is good there.

Beau Joe's is good.

Your bar is Falling Rock Tap Room. More than 50 microbrews on tap, I believe. Definitely worth checking out.

And if you do happen to fall prey to Casa Bonita.... Get the sopapillas.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

While I'm not OTR, the OP, I do also offer thanks for these suggestions. I'm heading to Denver in mid-June for a few days (Mrs. Fly's sis getting hitched). Will definitely be watching this thread closely.

Being beer geek suprema, I was definitely looking at heading out to Oskar Blues and the New Belgium/Fort Collins BC/Odells trio up Ft. Collins way in the few days I'm there. Also want to hit Great Divide, Bristol BC (Colorado Springs) and Avery as well if time permits. Sounds like I'm having liquid lunch that weekend!

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I do not know Denver all that well, but on the one trip I had out there, I stumbled upon Pint's Pub. I loved the place. It doesn't have music, but it is a brew pub with an incredible whiskey selection.

Draft saved Draft deleted