1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming to America. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheDelaney, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TheDelaney

TheDelaney New Member

Hello there.
    I'm looking for some advice. I'm a 27-year-old Irish journalist. Undergoing a major life change at the moment in that my serious five-year relationship looks doomed. If it proves to be, I think I'd love to take a year out and live in a foreign country.
    I've enjoyed a few holidays to the States, and have a high regard for a lot of American journalism. I'd qualify for a year's working holiday visa.
    My question is, what chances would I have of doing some newspaper work in that year? I'm guessing, in the current climate, very little. I'm experienced in news and sports journalism, and at the moment, do a lot of sub-editing. But I'm not sure my experience would be relevant to American newspapers - the sports I have experience covering are very different from American sports, and in terms of subbing, there are obviously huge style and spelling differences.
    Anyway, I suppose I'm asking two questions.
    Are there many avenues I could explore for doing some interesting, narrative-style journalism or picking up subbing work? I wouldn't be too concerned about pay, as making money wouldn't really be the purpose of such a year.
    Secondly, and I'm afraid this is where I live up the stereotype, any advice on the best area for me to live? I'd be looking for a town with a party atmosphere, where, say, there would be plenty of bars where people are not offended by mild but consistent drunkenness. If such a town contained women who are easily impressed by foreign accents, that would be something I could learn to live with.
    Thanks.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, we don't have many papers covering rugby or GAA sports. So how's your knowledge of soccer, gridiron football and/or basketball?

Have you thought about seeing if you could string stories for Irish papers about life in America? Maybe do stories about Irish currently living here for papers back home?

As for where to live, move every month to a different state to get a feel for the USA. NYC isn't anything like Washington DC which isn't anything like Washington state.

And your accent will enable you to score like crazy.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

And that's true regardless of which state/region you're in.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I was hoping Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall were re-uniting.

Carry on, wayward son.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Assuming this is an honest inquiry, which is a big assumption, I would look into the U.S. Olympic Committee.
    See what they have available. They have might have a job in their media department, and they have an internship program. Considering your background, it could be a good fit.
    Just a thought.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Where's GB Hack when you need him?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Move near me. :D

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

...Or if you're looking for something a bit...different...me! :D

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm available too, dammit! And closer to the USOC than those two :D

10. Who says we don't welcome newbies?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The IOC has an opening.
    http://www.olympic.org/uk/utilities/job/index_uk.asp

But, as is so often the case with large public and pseudo-public agencies, the job description is written so that nobody could possibly know what the job actually is.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted