1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AVSE, Oct 1, 2008.

1. AVSE

AVSE Member

It looks as if a position will be opening at the Antelope Valley Press in Palmdale, California. I'm unsure as to when an ad will be posted, but unless I get frozen, it should be in the next couple weeks. If you're interested in hard work and low pay at a paper that is family owned, doesn't believe in the web and not laying people off, feel free to IM me or show that you're really interested and send me an email.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

unless I get frozen

Outing alert — AVSE is Cirroc ...

[​IMG]

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought he was Ted Williams.
    And are you selling this job or steering people away from it? Your post kind of contradicts itself in a couple places.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Not usually the way it works in here, AVSE. We would like an ad as soon as possible.

But I will give props to Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. Buddy of mine from college was a bodybuilder and kind of a meathead, yet under that facade was damn smart. He was a journalist for a while, then quit to go to law school. I have always, always called him Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps a little Birdie can fill us in.

6. AVSE

AVSE Member

The work is hard, it's a family-owned paper, trying to be up front about the position is all. And playthrough, sorry for a couple things: First, I won't have an actual ad until the end of the week at the earliest, just trying to get a jump on things. Second, I don't get the caveman lawyer references.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's obvious this guy has a feeling about something. No reason to cut him off. If it doesn't pan out, nuke the thread. But don't give a few enterprising young'ns one less shot at getting a gig.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This one is worth applying for. When they come at you with an insultingly low offer, chances are really good you'll get a fantastic offer from another shop about a week later, because the karma will be in your favor. :)

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

The paper is what it is, but if this is a heads-up from the inside, it's a poor statement on the staff. If you don't like the place enough to run it down before there's an opening, hit the bricks. It's not indentured servitude.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"I am but a simple caveman, frightened by your modern things such as InDesign, color print, digital photographs, floating ads and cross-country parents."

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's an old SNL skit.

http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/2008/08/classic-snl-clip-of-day-unfrozen.html

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Am I reading this correctly?

So this paper has no web site and no interest in establishing a web presence? If that's the case, then this paper clearly is crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted