1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon (we assume), SE in Asbury Park, NJ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

interesting post. thanks for the honesty.

2. boots

boots New Member

PH, I have never worked there but had the unpleasure of meeting the ungreat Ray for a couple of openings. Calling him a shill of a man is a compliment.
    Everything you have said is true. My information may be second hand for the most part, but I having met Ray, and Skip, I walked away saying that these guys were fucked beyond up.

3. digger

digger New Member

Great post. 100 percent accurate.

By the way, the Record is the biggest beneficiary of the mess in Neptune (and also the savior for those people - I hope, I've only heard good things from the former Pressers up there) as a lot of the good people who leave the press head up there.

Some good ones have also landed at the Ledger.

Meanwhile, the Press just gets worse and worse as people with experience and connections in the area head north.

4. floridasun

floridasun Member

This seems to be par for the course at most gannett shops. Idiots who think they're not idiots running the show, unaware that 90 percent of the newsroom can't stand being in the same building as them. At the same time, they're oblivious, thinking they're actually making a difference, which, as some of the unfortunate current and former "gannetteers" can attest, is untrue and the only difference they're making is driving people into the ground and eventually out of the business.

Someone should send the gannett-bashing threads to the overlords corporate office so they can see how well their overlordom is received by their people.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

it wouldn't do any good. one of my previous employers asked me what some of my favorite websites are and of course, i mentioned SportsJournalists.com. He laughs and says, "We don't receive many positive compliments on there."
    I said, "No, you don't."
    Then he laughed some more. I however, didn't think it was funny. Should have read the writing on the wall.

6. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

Interesting Gannett-related update:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/10/08/ap4197571.html

7. flyinbytheseat

flyinbytheseat New Member

PHINJ and digger are right on. What Skip has done to a sports section that once won awards is an abomination. And with Skip, it's all personal. If you don't drink the Kool-Aid, you are the enemy, and he will resort to every possible tactic to find a reason to dump you.

I feel sorry for Kevin. He's a great guy who's been handed a hand full of deuces and he doesn't deserve it by any stretch. He's losing another desker and word is they may replace the person with someone from marketing. That'll solve a lot of problems, for sure.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Has this position been filled or restructured? This is from 2 weeks ago: they've hired an assistant sports editor.

http://www.snd.org/update/2007/10/joe-torres-out-of-ny-and-john-v-smith.html

9. Chris Erwin

Chris Erwin New Member

Holy cow. What an awesome thread. All true of course, but when I brought it to corporate attention I was fired. I was late to work and made personal phone calls is why of course. No mention that I was the agate person so I usually stayed later then most people. Also I know I'm the only one to ever use the phone at work. It was no way retaliation. Just ask the polyester pieces of garbage who canned me:) Of course I have a labor lawyer just to check it out just in case. I think Gannet executives would be shocked to see that other people feel the same way I do. Big shout out to Digger he da man! As for him calling Skip a bully/idiot that was kind. He left out coward. Another smurf hiding behind a desk. I was fired in the mail and the woman who killed herself over the phone. Now that shows Skip's a real man's man.
    As for the other guy Digger refers to in his post. When I brought up that his main man sexually harassed me he sided with him and tried to fire me:) Then when his main man brought in a picture of a young man in panties it wasn't his fault. It was the people who talked about it. If you see a pink elephant run across the street you're going to repeat it. But maybe Skippy didn't think the picture was that odd.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, THAT'S train-wreck entertaining.

11. Chris Erwin

Chris Erwin New Member

Is that a compliment? Oh I forgot to mention all my work reviews for 13 or so years were from very good to excellent.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You worked there for 13 years as an agate person?

Draft saved Draft deleted