1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon,The Ralph Wiley Rule for sports journalism hiring?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Another ugly diversity report card for sports journalism. Richard E. Lapchick, the director of The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida, which annually publishes racial and gender report cards on MLB, the NBA and WNBA, NFL, college sports, and the APSE. wants to adopt a rule similar to the NFL's Rooney rule and dedicate it to Ralph Wiley. I agree something needs to be done but this.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/02/25/Opinion/Richard-Lapchick.aspx

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For my last opening, I got more than 100 applicants.

How was I supposed to tell if somebody was a minority unless they listed membership in specific organizations?

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Look them up on Facebook or Twitter?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For the past 15 or so years I have operated under the premise that anything quoting Richard Slapdick Lapchick can be dismissed immediately. This rule continues to serve me well.

5. Inky_Wretch

I did once I trimmed the pile to the 10 semifinalists. But for all of them? I don't have enough hours in the day.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I understand the need for minority hires, I really do, but seriously when we get a stack of resumes, shouldn't the best resumes and clips be selected for the job? I know there are some out there who still discriminate, and that's terrible, but everyone being equal shouldn't you just rip the names off the resumes and clips and go into it with a level playing field and the best people for the job get interviewed?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are many outstanding minority journalists who aren't being hired. The line of "I can't find any" or "There aren't any qualified" is bogus.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So much of the new hiring is done too at a bare-bones salary -- at least of the younger people I'm acquainted with, it seems many or even most are living with parents or getting some kind of financial support because starting journalism wages aren't enough to live on. Statistically and sociologically speaking, that kind of opportunity is going to be available to a lot more white kids than minorities.

Also there are the vastly different college graduation rates among the groups. And that degree is usually (though not always) considered a prerequisite in journalism.

9. Inky_Wretch

Again, how is an SE supposed to know somebody is a minority unless the applicant specifically tells him/her?

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

You'll have to show me where he said anything like that.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this comment has to do with the two comments that are quoted.

It's illegal to require anything on applications/resumes that attest to a person's race, religion, gender, etc. How would you know?

If I'm a hiring manager, I'm looking at qualifications. Only if a person makes it to an interview would I figure out what skin tone and gender he or she was -- and of course, those are only two components of the whole "DIVERSITY!!!" cry.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

So let me see if I have this correctly, the problem with getting more minority hires is that employers don't know where to look or who to ask for qualified applicants? Of course legally employers can't ask a person's race, yet they do ask them to fill out that EEOC questionaire.

Draft saved Draft deleted