1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Demagogues.
    The president can serve as a godparent.

2. Teams should call themselves the "Coons" or "N-----s." I've never called a black person those names, so they're OK to use.

3. Look up the case. It's not difficult. Too bad many people are all too happy to be OK with what the NCAA does.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The whole thing is damn silly. Too bad the government can't fix real problems.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funniest thing about this is that Redskins isn't even the most offensive active trademark out there.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Washington Someofmybestfriendsareinjuns.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mark, disputes like this are what the Patent & Trademark Office is FOR. It really wouldn't be of much use on Iraq policy or making the F-35 fly right. It's there to implement patent and trademark laws, and this was a suit covered by said laws.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At some point Snyder has to understand the argument is getting in the way of the franchise's prime objective - providing fodder for people to mock Snyder's ownership tenure...oh wait! I get it now.

Seriously, change the name to the Washington Legends - you don't have to change the lyrics too much to the song, you can maintain that it respects and honors Native Americans and you don't have to change the logo (though a reimagined logo designed and approved by Native Americans would be a nice touch).

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Disappointing that North Dakota and the others caved to political correctness pressure.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lot of that legal stuff is way, way over my head. But I don't see how they can make the argument one name can be trademarked and some other name cannot be.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thought I'd quote that for him, since he wanted everyone to see he's the smartest kid in the room.

Desperation for approval is not always pretty or tasteful.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a real shame the university lost its lawsuit against the NCAA. Not to mention that the Sioux bands in North Dakota found the university's use of their heritage offensive and refused to give them a special blessing to use the name, the way the Utes, Seminoles, and Chippewa did for Utah, FSU, and Central Michigan. Oh, and I almost forgot about the statewide vote that was held where 60 percent of North Dakotans said they should retire the name and logo. Damn that PC crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted