1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon (?): The APSE wire service

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Mar 6, 2009.

1. spankys

spankys Member

this is a terrible, terrible idea that would eventually cause even more jobs to disappear. once the bean counters see all these stories popping up for free they'll wonder why they need to pay a writer to cover something similar.
    we'll all be prep writers, aside from the 1 or 2 "national" writers on a given beat. competition on beats will be gone. jobs will be gone. this will be bad.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually, that's been going on in minor league sports for more than a decade, probably longer. Broadcast, too.

When I was doing minor league pxp in the early 1990s, we would do the feed for both home and road stations. Then when our team was on the road, the home team crew did the games for both sides. Saved me some killer 14-hour bus rides. Sometimes the visiting team's PR guy would send me promotional stuff to get in on broadcasts for their affiliate. Not a big deal, because I've never been a real "homer" anyway.

On the print side, we do this all the freakin' time on preps and minor league teams, where travel isn't financially or logistically feasible.

So why wouldn't it work on the major college or pro level? That's basically what AP does now. If the Yankees are playing the Indians in Cleveland, the Cleveland guy staffs it. When the Indians come to New York, the New York guy does it.

You can either play it neutral or put a slant on it, depending what kind of resources you have to devote to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted