1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: NCAA v. California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pull the whole rotten institution down.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This. She for sure would have been doing Subway or other commercials.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Keep scheduling Central Michigan and Kent State, pops.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. Go back 5 years and Clemson is not on your mythical list of 6 and they may well 3-peat here. Are there 100 teams that can win, no, but its a helluva lot more than 6.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Funding, scheduling afterschool activity vexes local grown-ups.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Free market and liberal bias, interesting.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So the kids should suck it up for the good of the country?
    And how is the future where the shoe companies will run it any different than the current situation? Other than the kids being paid in the future while the people getting rich off them now have to take a little less.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hilarious that the republicans are against the free market here.
    Totally predictable, but hilarious, nonetheless.

And if MAC tennis and soccer goes away, who the fuck cares?
    Those programs exist only on the backs of the football and basketball teams anyways.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about Becky Tennis Player.

JC likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The shoe companies will run it.
    As opposed to now?
    Did you *watch* the college basketball trials?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To the first question I have no answer. I didn’t write anything about it.

To the second, yeah, it’d be different if that happened. It might be “cleaner,” on some level but it’s basically inviting corporate America to run college sports. Strangely, people seem thrilled at that prospect.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Liberals love the free market when it seemingly conforms to its moral preferences. See Apple and Google and Amazon. Liberals love the concept of tanking in sports to get draft picks. They love their soccer jerseys with giant corporate logos on them. They love relegation in EPL.

They don’t love hedge funds gobbling up companies and dismantling them, but, if we’re honest, that’s really just hypocrisy at work. Stripping companies for parts and bleeding them for profit is the ultimate flex of the free market. So is off shoring jobs to create greater profit margins. Handing collegiate sports over to that will come with changes and consequences. It will. Some good, some bad.

It’s the universal “all good, no bad” horseshit that, uh, offends my sensibilities. Not that my sensibilities matter.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

She received an Olympic bonus of $120,000 or so, yet still kept her "amateur" status and competed collegiately. Stanford classmate Christian McCaffrey, though, would have been sanctioned for receiving a free turkey sandwich from a booster. Obviously there's a disconnect there.

As far as "who gives a shit if MAC soccer and tennis go away," the players probably would. I'm a believer of creating opportunities, not eliminating them.

I suspect something will be worked out in the interim.

I think conservatives like Amazon, Apple and Google too. We know they love Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted