1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: NCAA v. California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 13, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This took me a second to put two and two together but I think this coach got run out of town from another juco for much the same thing as an assistant. There were 17 kids from across the country living in one house in Hollister when the owner threated to evict them if they didn't start cleaning. One thing led to another and the college booted all the players for receiving improper benefits and two assistants were placed on leave and later left.

Gavilan College sanctions football team - SanBenito.com

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the NCAA blinks.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that it really amounts to much. This feels more like a stall.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Symbolically, it’s a big deal because it shows the NCAA is finally getting dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Even if they are labeling it as “adjusting to the modern era of college sports” or some sort of corporate gobbledygook.

In practice, I agree, it’s not much because they’re seeking to control how athletes are allowed to access those opportunities. At somebody point, you’re going to get a player questioning why they have to wear Nike’s when they can get a better deal with Reebok.

Draft saved Draft deleted