1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: NCAA v. California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 13, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

California doing God's work, trying to get EA to bring back the NCAA Football franchise.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s been touched on in the pro wrestling thread, but California also is on the verge of making it very difficult to classify workers as independent contractors, which could majorly give the WWE a well-deserved kick to the balls.

As for this, if other states (blue) decide to do this, the NCAA is going to have to make some pretty hard decisions. Either watch the whole thing blow up between the Trumpian “those kids should be grateful for a scholarship” states and the “it’s the 21st Century and there’s billions of dollars” states, or adapt and finally admit it’s not 1906 anymore.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course the NCAA is in opposition to it. As it should be. You can't change the NCAA in state legislatures.

As a sidenote, once NIL becomes a good payday for college athletes, you can fully expect the wealthiest in America to leverage that for their kids the way they do everything else. It'll basically ruin youth sports even more than it is, turning it even more into a ruthless pursuit of money for 10-year-olds. It's fascinating to me we think that's a good thing but, hey, free market rules.

5. HanSenSE

Add wrestlers to the list. I started a thread in the journalism cat on how it could affect home delivery.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always thought they should take a chunk of merchandising and licensing revenues -- maybe as much as 25 percent -- and pool it into a fund to distribute to athletes. Then everybody gets a percentage of that.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Remember that the NCAA limited college football telecasts until compelled by SCOTUS to relent. I wonder if this is the next version of governmental action that changes things.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think this will end up being more of a situation where schools are required to cut the athletes featured in promotions in on the money than individual players doing endorsements - though autograph shows might be interesting. The grey area is if a contract is signed before a player ends up on campus and can be seen as an inducement.

maumann likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

We're really the only developed country that ties athletics to education this extensively. Everywhere else, it's all private academies with some supplemental public programs.

I don't understand why there's a resistance to moving to pro-sponsored developmental programs like the UK does for soccer or other places in Europe do for basketball and hockey.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted