1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: Dog TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

New channel launching on Direct TV next month geared toward dogs. It'll feature short videos designed to keep them entertained while their owners aren't home, and also broadcast in a color palette geared toward a canine eye.
    There will also be self-help programs, but no word yet whether they'll expand the programming to include reruns of "Bones."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2013/07/09/tv-for-dogs-not-as-weird-as-you-think/

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My dog is already telling me she is old enough to watch the "after dark" programming.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Let's say, as a long-shot hypothetical, this actually works: This programming can help reduce a dog's tendency for mischief when left indoors alone.

If that's the extremely unlikely case, and I had a dog that was mischievous and had to be left alone indoors, wouldn't I just record 16 hours of the programming and then cancel my subscription? The dog's not going to know it's watching the same programming again.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's $5 a month. If you can't afford $5 a month, then you probably shouldn't have a dog.

Which isn't to say that I'd pay for this (I wouldn't). But if your argument is why pay the money, then I'd say, why have a dog?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but it would be much more entertaining for me as a dog owner to have dog agit TV.

Just have nothing happen for a while. Then have someone on the channel knock on a door. Or blow on a vuvuzuela.

Dog chaos ensues.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, I'm wondering how the company intends to continue its revenue in a fee based structure If no one has to pay the fee.

I realize it's only $5, but why would you continue to pay $5 a month when don't have to? Being able to afford it isn't the issue.

By the end of the first day, you've recorded all the content you need to keep the dog docile.

Redbox movies only cost $1, but I'm not renting a movie for $1 if I have it recorded on my DVR.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Next on Dog TV:More hot, naked bitches.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

You are overestimating the common sense of old, rich dog owners. And their ability to operate their own digital recording devices without calling a repair man.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Who wants to get stoned and bark at the TV with me?

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

A Pearl Harbor job in the snow, nonetheless. Priceless entertainment!

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if the dog spends too much time watching TV, is he going to tell his obedience teacher that his human ate his homework?

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If dogs attack cops, should we blame the violence in the programming?

Draft saved Draft deleted