1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming out in Grand Style

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Homer: Baart! Where'd you get that shirt?
    Bart: I dunno. Came out of the closet.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is this the *girl* you were talking about when you talked about boots'ing a girl?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's quite the anecdote, Boots.
    You didn't say anyone was treating your co-worker badly. You said they were treating him differently.
    I think that's to be expected considering: 1) The tasteless way a still-married man made his announcement and 2) their notions of someone they thought they knew were just disrupted.
    The way each person responds to point 1 will be based on how he/she feels about his conduct in making the announcement.
    Friends will get around point 2, but your friend, and you, shouldn't be surprised that some people might be a bit shocked.
    There's a difference between people being shocked and people treating him badly.
    I'm not there to make a judgment call, though.

4. dmc

dmc Guest

Honestly, to really be able to defend him, you have to get past these things...

"While we won't be taking showers together after a game of handball anymore" (chances are, you will be safe)

"I still consider him a friend" (well, why wouldnt you?  shouldnt that go without saying?)

"being gay is his choice" (maybe for some,  but most likely,  born that way.)

It must have been an odd experience, the whole mood change of the party. Strange to me, I mean its not like he admited to being a criminal or something. Were these all close friends?

5. boots

boots New Member

People have come up to me asking me what was going on with him. I tell them to ask him. Because we are friends, and I will say this again and again, it doesn't matter if he is gay or not to me, he has been in my corner more times than I care to remember.
    The party wasn't a coming out party, per se. It was just something that happen. I think he felt he was living a lie. Now he is not. His wife is a very nice young lady. Is she hurt? Yes, very much so. And for the dogs out there, she is extremely attractive. I might want to put her in the romp in the hay thread at a later date but that's getting off the subject.
    Professionally speaking, people are very standoffish towards him. There used to be idle chit chat. Now, there's nothing. He feels the strain but I give him credit for looking past all of this.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

How the hell do you come out at your own party?

One would hope he was drunk off Old Mill Lite, called for quiet time and announced...........

"Alright, I have an announcement to make.

I like cock.

There, I said it.

I like to have a big greasy cock jammed into me, and then have him finish on my grill.......honey, this OK with you?"

bushleague.

time and a place.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How long has it been since the announcement? People probably just need a little time.
    I can try to empathize with the strain he might have been under, but I just can't understand why he wouldn't wait until after his divorce and then tell people in a different way.
    The whole situation seems a little bizarre, which might be compounding the trouble other people are having with it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I were going to get drunk and accidently come out of the closet at my own party, I better be drinking something better than Miller Lite.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The only thing that seems to have been handled right was that he came out at his own party.
    Seems kind of rude to come out at somebody else's party.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did he give a demonstration on the pool table?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And boots puts in early dibs on the wife. Stay classy.

Besides, how bad does a woman have to be in bed to drive a man gay?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can we get 21 to ask her friend Liza Minelli?

Draft saved Draft deleted